When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Input On Next Rep Purchase>>>

longshot

It's so hot here in Sacramento I really prefer bracelat watche sin the summer. I was at a party last night and it was still over 90 degrees and HUMID at 11:30pm (see picture) :Jumpy:

I have all the Rollies I need and a very nice FM and prefer sporty/dive watches in the 40mm and a bit bigger range. I had a white dial Aquatimer and loved the case and bracelet, but the 12:00 markers were off and it had some other problems (bent stem, bad bezel color) that soured me a bit. But still a cool watch! Both are ETA with a screw down crown and sapphire (but the Tag is domed, anoher plus)

http://perfect-clones.com/tg10014-link-bla...362-p-1420.html

I'm trying to decide between the black dial ICW and Joshua's new ETA Tag Link GMT. He says the Tag bracelet is an nice as the IWC and with no rotating bezel you don't have the sloppy bezel issue. Plus the tag is supposed to have a textured dial and I do like those :D

I guess I'm not a big Tag fan because of all the overpriced quartz they sell, but the GMT looks a lot like the Grand Seiko GMT and that's one of my favorite watches. I'm also guessing the Tag would not be called as a rep but the IWC might? Plus I do like GMT watches a lot for some strange reason.

Anybody have the new Tag Link ETA (GMT or not) that can comment on overall quality?

post-1397-1153600143_thumb.jpg

Why would the GST be called out? Few people even know the name IWC, far fewer than know Tag. I'd go with the GST (I have it in white and love it), but then the Tag GMT doesn't do much for me. There are other GMTs that I would rank before this, the Seamaster SMP, the Pan, the GMT-Master to name several. But you have to live with it.

Why would the GST be called out? Few people even know the name IWC, far fewer than know Tag. I'd go with the GST (I have it in white and love it), but then the Tag GMT doesn't do much for me. There are other GMTs that I would rank before this, the Seamaster SMP, the Pan, the GMT-Master to name several. But you have to live with it.

I have an SMP GMT and a GMT II and a Pam029 B)

But am still leaning towards the Tag. I'd love to see better pics first though!

I would go with the IWC. This TAG isn't as nice and the whole brand has a reputation as a common "Mall Watch" at this point.

How are the markers on your IWC? The 12:00 markers were waaaay off on the white dial I had and they even seem way off on some dealers pics. Joshua said he would hand pick one but it would be nice to know if there were any perfect dials out there!

I'm also guessing the Tag would not be called as a rep but the IWC might? Plus I do like GMT watches a lot for some strange reason.

I assume you mean because the Aquatimer rep is not as accurate as the Link so it is less likely to pass the eyeball test? I certainly don't think people are generally more suspicious of IWC's than TAGs, and the latter is more commonly repped -- usually low end quartz reps to match TAG's low end prestige image. I doubt most people would suspect IWC's because 1) they've never heard of them; 2) it seems counterintuitive to non watch-lovers (said most people) to wear a replica of a brand that isn't at all well known compared to Rolex, Omega et al.

I actually like a number of TAGs, but many of them, as with many Omegas, are priced in that no-man's land around $1200-1500 where the gen/rep value equation feels a bit iffy to me.

Edited by kanerich

Yeah I know TAG doesn't get much respect. Many WIS despise the whole brand. But keep in mind that TAG higher end models are completely different from their cheap-ass quartz junk.

Link Caliber 36 has El Primero inside and it's one of the nicest looking chronos out there. Aquaracer 2000 Automatic is amazing (imho). I like the design of almost all their automatic chronograph models. Carrera has long traditions from the Heuer days, Monaco, etc.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I like TAG.

Of I knew I could get an IWC with a good dial I would probably lean that way. But this is what the 12:00 markers looked like on the white dial I had, and it looked worse in person than in the pic.

Joshua says he can hand pick one, but most of the dealer pics look the same.

I really liked the bracelet on the Aquatimer, but I've been told the Link bracelets are really nice too.

I'm not much of a Tag fan in general, but the textured dial and the GMT feature and the clean bezel design do looks pretty sweet!

Still deciding :unsure:

post-1397-1153674173_thumb.jpg

post-1397-1153674374_thumb.jpg