When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

daytona @ 9 on the way

db1

Hey,

well hopefully my rep had passed customs and i should receieve it by monday.

i am so excited!

well, i've got a few reps..a few breitlings,one pam, one rlx sub etc.. but i've never had a "real" daytona rep in my hands! i only have had the cheap "POS" faux chronos (day-date subdials type) rep which was my first ever rep , bought for about $60 back in time (2.5 years ago). then i have bought from an rwg member a faux-chrono-secs@6 daytona which i also liked but it wasnt doing anything killer to me and ended up sitting in the drawer.

and i really like that rep! sitting very nicely on my wirst, not as heavy and blingy as my bentley GT, but has a classic look and feels great,

then i decided i want an a7750 daytona, of course i can not take the risk of the faulty modded movement, so i decided to go for the secs @9 model, yeah i know the sub-dial spacing is off and maybe some other small details- but i prefer a reliable rep with small "not noticable to the naked eye" faults then a faulty movement :)

(also have a set of gen tube & crown for it which i would maybe keep in mind for later, hmmm- well, also a sealed pair of genuine 16520 pushers! but these are hard to find, maybe should keep them for a higher end project)

hope i will not be disappointed, some people told me its a great rep for the money, some other told me its a terrible total-give away rep etc..

here's a photo of the same model i have ordered:

ROLEX-183.jpg

what do you guys think?

Edited by db1

that crown guard is gonna need some modding =)

wear it well!

I still want one of these. I wish someone would come out with one with a mystery movement and accurate case/dial. I envy UBI's twins but not quite ready to spend that ammt of money. (not to mention the year+ of hunting down parts) =)

I do not like to burst a buyer's bubble when they are happy with their purchase. But since you asked for input, I would avoid wearing this watch around anyone who knows what the real thing (or an accurate secs at 6 rep) looks like. And while you are awaiting your new watch's arrival, you might want to check out some gen Daytonas at your local AD or rolex.com & compare those with your picture.

Hey freddy,

thanks for your input! both positive and not-so positive input is welcome! this is why i had opened this thread :) i wanted to hear any opinion.

well i had gone through many photos of the real thing and found out:

- the rep's sub dial spacing is terribly off (probably by a little more then 2mm?) and the sub dials "ring" color is also a bit off. other then that- i had seen the rep had a crown that is too "think" in compare to the gen (i could fix that with the gen crown & tube set i have) and of course the case back is not so flat like gen.

i also understand there is nothing to do about the dial other then spending a few g's and building a franken like ubi's, which right now is out of the question for me even though they are the best daytona frankens i've ever seen. so i'll let the dial stay with his flaws.

about showing off the rep in front of "gen guys":

i never pose my reps as gens, not in front of normal people and not in front of people who has the gens.

and anyway- the gen people, a pretty big percentage of them- can't tell a standard swiss-eta sub as a rep, i know people who just bought a luxury item cause they wanted to have it and have the cash to spare. but they know nothing about it in particular.

(some other knows there business very well- but not too many of them)

i wear the watch cuase i like it, not cause i want people to think i have the gen =]

i feel good about wearing my reps with the flaws, knowing- that i can not even get an %80 gen looking watch for under $300 while the real article is about $12,000-15,000

so i should "live" with the visual flaws, i'll rather that then a faulty movement.

do you think i should mod the gen crown & tube into that rep? (i have seen the gen vs. rep crown on these- and it looks like a big diff.)

thanks for all your input guys :)

well i had gone through many photos of the real thing and found out:

- the rep's sub dial spacing is terribly off (probably by a little more then 2mm?) and the sub dials "ring" color is also a bit off. other then that- i had seen the rep had a crown that is too "think" in compare to the gen (i could fix that with the gen crown & tube set i have) and of course the case back is not so flat like gen.

i also understand there is nothing to do about the dial other then spending a few g's and building a franken like ubi's, which right now is out of the question for me even though they are the best daytona frankens i've ever seen. so i'll let the dial stay with his flaws.

The main problem with the subdials on your watch is not their spacing (which, unfortunately, is also incorrect, as you noted), but their location (on the dial). The 2 top subdials on the gen (& secs at 6 rep) should be about 1mm above the equator of the watch (if you draw a horizontal line through the center of the dial, the central pivots in the 2 upper subdials should be noticeably above that line). A dead give-away of a fake Rolex.

And you do not need to spend a few gs to get an accurate Daytona (by the way, Ubi's are an earlier Daytona version than yours). You have alot of reading to do. Begin here & then go here.

I like the seconds at 9 daytona because, unlike the seconds at six, it will keep working for over a week after arrival! So what if the seconds at six model is more "accurate", if it is a ticking time bomb that breaks within days of arrival for the majority of buyers?

So few people are familiar with the nuances of Rolex that I think this Daytona will provide you with years of pleasure... happy wearing!