When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2008 Deep Sea Review

lanikai

Great job Lani (and Freddy)...Thanks!!

I was all set to order one from BK because he straightens out the date wheel as good as possible if it's not straight from the factory, but he told me his supplier was out for now.

Now I have to decide if I'm going to order from Josh or Andrew and risk a misaligned date wheel, or wait for BK.

The only Rolex rep I've ever gotten with a date wheel that has all the dates centered in the date window is the SSD I got from Andrew in November of last year (the watch I wear most of all my reps). That includes a few 21j Asian noobs, a 25j swiss noob, and even a WM9 sub from PT.

just a FYI.. the dealers not aligned directly with the maker will have a while to wait.. as these will be exclusive to the dealers that source the Genuines for sample.. they are the 4 dealers I mentioned ... this is SOP with the big 3 Makers.. so the makers have them, they are just being released to the "Factory dealers" .. for the time being

kruzer00 Posted Today, 01:35 AM

Much thanks to Lanikai and the Deep Sea Team. A great review. It is fun to learn about the history and I know how much work it is to line up rep pictures to match gen pictures as closely as possible. What a great watch

Thank you Kruzer .... This watch looks to be right up your alley .. so to speak...

And yes, I was a little dissapointed this morning when I sat down at the coffe shop and viewed how little it seems.. let's just say it took over 2 day's and the viewing takes only minutes.. :huh: .. and so much more I could have done .. but the essentials are there.. it's much easier to do a review when the watch has been out for a year or so.. :)

Stephane Posted Today, 02:17 AM

Thanks for the great work Lani and friends.

It's growing on me. Slowly...but growing.

I guess I'll have to consider it in 2009

Cheers

Stephane

Well, I can pick up my winning bet now... :lol: ... :whistling::animal_rooster: .. split it with ya S ... it was an easy call.. (for now) :animal_rooster:

chieftang Posted Today, 06:49 AM

Great write-up!

This one's really growing on me....

Yup .. I can see this one on you CT.... it's a "Man's " watch.. B) ... hey, btw.. do you guy's sleep on purpose ??

Thank you all.. I will be coming back with follow ups on somethings... any Questions .. I will try and answer or find the answer B)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the explanation on the clasp Lani. Tracking my package.....already left GZ. Should be with me on Monday/Tuesday.

This is going to be my first, and perhaps, the only Rolex (unless they decide to come up with something in 44mm or more). Being in Singapore...I get to see almost every other person (especially my clients) wearing a Rolex....pretty popular with the middle aged Chinese men.....a symbol of success. However, I have not really handled a Rolex ever....so not sure about how it wears/feels.

Thanks for the explanation on the clasp Lani. Tracking my package.....already left GZ. Should be with me on Monday/Tuesday.

This is going to be my first, and perhaps, the only Rolex (unless they decide to come up with something in 44mm or more). Being in Singapore...I get to see almost every other person (especially my clients) wearing a Rolex....pretty popular with the middle aged Chinese men.....a symbol of success. However, I have not really handled a Rolex ever....so not sure about how it wears/feels.

It doesn't matter that you have never worn a Rolex rep. before, this is the "exception" to the rule.. or Rolex :) .. after wearing the Deep Sea rep for 3 day's now .. I have an idea of what makes the watch balance well..(IMO)

check out how long this clasp is.. it goes almost the width of my wrist .. (I have an average wrist) .. but I think it was engineered specifically to counter the weight of the watch along with the ratchet inside..

deepsearolex114sn8.jpg

and the width of the Lugs @20mm with the long tapered case.. the solid SEL's and solid links all add to balance the watch nicely

deepsearolex006pv5.jpg

I like the TI case back.. I know the purpose is for more stregnth .. at depth.. but it feels silky to me..

59748186wm8.jpg

it's easier to go from wearing this to wearing the vintage models.. than vis versa .. B)

don't worry... just ~

Live Strong and Wear it Well !!

Wow Lani. Just got back online and am blown away by this one. Not sure if it is for me but it looks well done.

Nice thorough review :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thank you very Much D ..!! the acknowledgement is well appreciated.. :)

But this one can be reviewed again with more detail..it's easier to review after wearing a while.. the longer I have it on ma wrist the less it feels like the Monster it is.. although this is a replication.. I am assuming that since it was done with the genuine as sample it has good specs.. the balance is unlike the larger Breitlings.. for the thickness of this watch, it is well engineered ... IMO.. I could see you with this one.. B)

The more pics I see of this deepsea monster....the more I like it :p

Lani....did you manage to pop open the case to see if it's really swiss ETA? I have ordered the swiss version as well. Am hoping that since dealers have a version as asian eta and a swiss eta....this just might be the swiss version.

Does the lack of AR on this bother you? Would it be worthwhile to send this to Chief for his magic?

The more pics I see of this deepsea monster....the more I like it :p

Lani....did you manage to pop open the case to see if it's really swiss ETA? I have ordered the swiss version as well. Am hoping that since dealers have a version as asian eta and a swiss eta....this just might be the swiss version.

Does the lack of AR on this bother you? Would it be worthwhile to send this to Chief for his magic?

No, I haven't opened the case back yet... mine is supposed to be Swiss..

Genuine has not AR .. it dosen't bother me .. re. I know the genuine doesn't have it,... ergo, it's not an error in the replication..

I'm sure you'll enjoy this, dude!

Can't wait for your pictorial too... :)

Thank you Kruzer .... This watch looks to be right up your alley .. so to speak...

It is right up my alley. There are two issues which come to my mind in what is otherwise a brilliant replication. The first is the crystal. The gen clearly sits much taller in the bezel (i.e. the dome begins at almost twice the height off the insert) akin to the vintage plexi rolexes. A fairly easy aftermarket plexi project can solve that but we would need to find someone with a gen. The other more difficult fix which we should pass on to the dealers (as it is an easy fix but one only they can do) is to better finish the date window. The gen has a better shaped "bezeled" date window while the rep has a primitive cut-out. That is something that can be easily fixed but only at the factory level. That would be my v.4. :D

It is right up my alley. There are two issues which come to my mind in what is otherwise a brilliant replication. The first is the crystal. The gen clearly sits much taller in the bezel (i.e. the dome begins at almost twice the height off the insert) akin to the vintage plexi rolexes. A fairly easy aftermarket plexi project can solve that but we would need to find someone with a gen. The other more difficult fix which we should pass on to the dealers (as it is an easy fix but one only they can do) is to better finish the date window. The gen has a better shaped "bezeled" date window while the rep has a primitive cut-out. That is something that can be easily fixed but only at the factory level. That would be my v.4. :D

I would go with kruzer's take on the bevelled date window cut-out. :)

great great review. I loved my friend's gen. But not enough to part with my gen LV to fund one. This is going to be in my collection

Yes, as mentioned in the review.. the genuine DW is double beveled.. the rep has a slight but not sharp bevel.. sorry I forgot to upload that macro .. I'll do that when I get home..

Archie.. commented that the genuine (which he handled) has a taller dome .. and in the review .. deferred this issue as I have not handled the gen. .. but the pics do show the genuine to be raised above the bevel as the rep sits flush and has a flatter apex than normal.. so the maker of the crystal missed the mark on that one.

I wonder if anyone will take on this as an after market crystal ..

but as far as versions.. I would expect more in a year or 2 .. I don't think it will be real soon... but lok at how many versions there are of the other Rolexes..

Fireman_Fred Posted Today, 03:30 AM

I soooo want this watch but with the

No sense waiting for something that you don't plan on getting.. but I regress

there are various flaws on this DS released.. that hopefully in time the makers will correct.. from the engraving on the rehaut.. not perfect but better..

but for me I will enjoy the font over the date window issue anyday..

this is the smoothly beveled rep.. I believe the genuine has two lines to the bevel..

deepsearolex022ia0.jpg

deepsearolex023ye9.jpg

My DSSD has arrived in Singapore and should be with me in a few hours......can't wait :p

Wow.. Samu .. excited for you man !!.. it'll be a day or so before the lume is fully charged.. so don't worry.. but regardless .. I cant't wait to see those images.. B)