When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Correct boxes?

RLudlowe

Yes, there are lots of sites that sell rep boxes these days, but like the reps themselves some are better than others and some don't resemble the original at all.

My question is, how does one find out what the correct box looks like?

You can always go to the manufacturer's site to find pics of teh gen watch, but they rarely show you the box or the papers that are supposed to come with it -

Does anybody run a gallery of box pics? Are there watch box collectors with a collector's guide?

+1

Also, many of the box sets are only made by one factory and all the dealers have them so it is take it or leave it. I used to buy them all for pics over the years and most are pretty good really. The IWC's are pretty accurate. There is a great Vacheron one floating around. The modern Rolex boxes are kind of crappy quality wise, but then so are the gens. But they are pretty accurate too. I think the red Omega boxes and the Breitlings look pretty good too to me. I guess it depends what you want them for. Keep in mind also that boxes are going to be pretty accurate at one time but are slow to change. In other words, the box out now was accurate for some watch at some time but probably not all of them. For example, the white IWC sets out now are still sold with some gens but not all. The new AT boxes are hard black with silver trim in the center. The older ones were all black leather and smaller. You see the point. Each model may (and usually does) use a different box every year even though the watch hasn't changed. Hope that helps.