When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Servicing

none

Hi there!

I own a couple of reps (all ETA) and someone told me you need to get them serviced right away when they arrive. Can anyone please tell me how urgent it is to get them serviced.

Another question: I know that The Zigmeister & finepics service and relume watches. Are there other trustworhty people around who can do the same job?

Thanks a lot, help is appreciated!

I think there is no need of servicing an ETA movement just bought,

but if you want, there are a couple of good guy from inside UE:

palpatine and repaustria, both trusted guy. Try pm.

Ciao!

Mig/

Hi there!

I own a couple of reps (all ETA) and someone told me you need to get them serviced right away when they arrive. Can anyone please tell me how urgent it is to get them serviced.

Another question: I know that The Zigmeister & finepics service and relume watches. Are there other trustworhty people around who can do the same job?

Thanks a lot, help is appreciated!

Just wear them. My dad has a genuine Tudor Sub (with ETA movement) that ran 27 years just OK without any servicing. Of course those pass the QC, etc. but it's very rare to hear people reporting any problems with ETA movements, even after years of use. They're very good and reliable.

If you run into problems with it you can always fix it (or even change the whole movement) later.

I would wear them, but would consider having them serviced within 5 years. The oils in the jewels and the grease in the mainspring will be dry in 5 years, that is a given.

If the movements are automatic, then at the 5 year mark, the mainspring will need to be changed so that the timekeeping is accurate.

But in the end, it's a personal choice, if after 27 years of use, and no service, the movement finally dies, you can always replace it...if you can find one...

What happens to oils and movements running dry is well known, what you do about it - if anything - is a personal choice...of course I like the fact that the watch is clean, oiled, adjusted and should perform well for me...but then I am biased when it comes to servicing...

I have seen many old movements that have not been serviced, although they are working (sort of) as soon as you take them apart, you can see all the worn out parts and pieces, and replacing them is very costly, and in some cases impossible as parts are not available. Worn out parts can be avoided with regular service, but if you have a run of the mill ETA you may not care...

Consider though that ETA is getting out of the business of selling movements, already I can't get ETA 7753 parts from ETA, according to ETA the 7753 is no longer in production.

Also consider that many of the movements sold are surplus, my supplier has for example two types of movements, "Others" and "Swiss", the Swiss ones are direct from ETA (which will not apply in a few years when they stop selling outside the Swatch Groupe), the "Others" are surplus...of unknown condition... Other movements are 1/2 of the price quoted for "Swiss" ones....

For my money, servicing avoids all the problems with worn out parts and non-availibity...I always will have oil and grease, but that may not be the case with some parts...with regular service, I know my watches will be able to run for many years...

RG