When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Year's Eve Water Pressure Test - Results are In!

hiker01

SD and Safari

Sorry My friend! Wrong!

AP ROO black (you stinker, you never told me you had that hidden the Hike Vaults!!) annnnnnnnd the MM

Wassssup Nik! Hehehehe......jst a few! You're close, but nope!

Alright guys.....I'll give it another hour then I will divulge.....tada! the models that failed!

Good luck!

other than what I posted above, there are only 3 other options... the suspence is killing me. oh and I want pictures of the failures :)

You know, in my rush to get to the WS place, I forgot the camera........damn! Believe me, I was [censored] off especially with the result of the failures!

Ah, what can I say............at least we're having fun!

113 and MBW AP?

@Polynomial, Congratulations!!!! Please PM me your address and I'll mail you the PAM silicone bracelet tomorrow! The rest, thanks a lot guys for playing!

The reason why I had them tested: Besides having plenty of time last New Year's Eve, I wanted to pick two REPS to take with me next week diving in Thailand,

Palau and the Philippines! Nothing major, maybe around 80-100ft at the most! Just mostly coral diving and lots of snorkling!

The Test:

The Portescap system: the watch is placed on a platform inside a vacuum chamber. The chamber is then evacuated of all air and a pointer is lowered until it touches the glass of the watch; the air in the watch is now at a higher pressure than that in the chamber (air pressue vs vacuum) and it will once again try to escape if it does so the case will suddenly contract as the pressure equalise and this will be registered on a micrometer guage connected to the pointer touching the glass.

The Device/Machine Tester:

SM8850-10.jpg

Testing pressure range from -0.7 up to 10 bar

Automatic test start when closing the chamber

Auto-positioning of the watch during the test

Automatic pressure chamber leak test

Safe locking system during vacuum test

Automatic air evacuation upon power loss

Extremely simple operation and programming

10 programmable single and double tests (factory pre-set)

Operates with a compressor or air installation

Supply voltage: 90 - 270 volt AC 50/60 Hz

Max. watch dimension: Height 40mm, Diameter 60 mm

Multi-lingual printer interface

Cost of test: US$15/watch... the WS was nice enough to fix the damaged at no cost!!!

Results:

All the four watches (AP ROO SAFARI, PAM243/SeaDweller/Chopard MM GTXL LE) passed the 10Bar/ATM maximum that the tester would do! This was very

impressive for the Safari and the Chopard MM considering that they are Chronos!

Failed watches:

MBW AP Roo Black Themes: @7BARS/ATM, the tester shut off and started decompressing. When the WS opened the device, we immediately saw the problem,

the CRYSTAL POPPED out and was setting halfway across the right side of the bezel! This was very disappointing! Of all the six watches, I had high hopes for

this model. It was claimed that this watch was used by the first owner diving in Thailand......., but you never know! A lot of factors could have affected this

watch! One of them is shipping across the world!

The WS pressed back the crystal, but won't perform the test again! He was worried that the damage could get worst.......... :D

PAM113: @2BARS/ATM, the tester shut off and started decompressing. When the WS opened the device, we didn't see anything visibly wrong with the watch!

He and I checked the crown, but couldn't find anything wrong with it! It was tightly pressed by the CG Lever when it was engaged! WS opened the caseback and checked the O-ring, but

that, too was perfect! So I told him not to worry about it and I'll check it when I get home........which I did! Now at home, I only have the Offrei Rubber ball (yellow) to open my watches,

which I use to open the 113 and soon realized that the glass part in the center of the caseback was rotating when I turn the ball! That, for me explains the leakage problem!

Solutions????? I need your opinion/tips here, Guys! What do you think should be done to:

- the popped crystal of the MBW ROO???

- the loose caseback crystal of the 113?

BTW: I pressed the caseback crystal (crude way by putting the watch face down on the carpet flloor and using a twist cap from a liter bottle placed

on top of the caseback crystal and then a small cutting board and then pound it with a small mallet!!!!) :rolleyes: When that was done, I turn on the kitchen faucet to full force and just about

right warm temperature and put the watch underneath, casdeback facing the water for about 5 mins or until the sink was full! After that, I left the watch submerged in the sink for another

20 mins.........removed it and wipe it dry......didn't see any condensation, so I put it outside on the porch (10F temp) for about 10 mins and still didn't see any condensation! The watch is still

running perfectly fine! Although I don't think I'll take it diving!

Which one am I taking????

Not completely decided yet, but inclining towards the Safari and the PAM243 as a backup! I'll let you guys know before I leave!

Again, thanks to everyone who participated! HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!

Cheers! HIKE