When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My VDB Marina Militare

l3x

After seeing some amazing vintage PAMs I decided to treat myself to one. I sent a PM to VDBrouke to find out how much one of his pieces cost.

He prompty replied and told me he was just about done with one ... and it should be ready the next day and will send pics and specs.

I felt like my daughter on Christmas Eve...I couldn't wait :D ...this was until he told me the price...I nearly fell out of my chair :eek:

It was very difficult for me to justifying the cost...but in the end I took a chance and I bought it.

The package arrived New Year's Eve. Absolutely great timing ... what a way to end the year.

After opening the package, I'm able to see, first hand, what a beauty she was. Looked even better in my hands than in the pics he sent.

• Beautiful chocolate dial. The details are just phenominal.

• The case was fantastic with just enough battle scars.

• Crown guard was huge. The lever felt very firm when opening and closing. Overall I was very impressed with it in comparison to others.

• The crown also pushed in and popped out nicely and aligned nicely with the case. However, turning the crown, in setting the time, felt a bit rough at some points during the rotation.

• The hands were nicely aged. But there was a gap between the hour and minute hand (see pics below). Not sure if this is a feature or a defect.

• The movement was a .. ooo la la ... sexy cortebert 616 with Rolex engrave bridge. It looked fantastic in the case.

The specs from VDB as to what was done:

6152/1 case modded 1:1
    bigger bezel with concave plexi
    cg pin modded vintage 1:1
    crown reworked for casesize and stemsize
    brevetatto display caseback vintage
    cortebert/rolex cal 616 motor with rlx engrave bridge
    vintage messing movtholder
    vintage lugs springbars for strapsize

Unfortunately, this beauty was not perfect, even though I wished it was :(

I encountered some problems with the motor.

• After winding, it would just stop after some time. 20 minutes, an hour, 2 hours, it varied. Once it stops, after I lift up the crown guard lever, it would begin running again.

• The watch also gained 24 minutes in 24 hours. One minute an hour. I know vintage movements (on a good day) can gain 5 to 7 minutes but this is pushing it for me.

• I have not tested the power reserve yet...any ideas what I can expect with this?

If anyone can provide input to my problems I would really appreciate it.

Anyways...here are the pics:

mm_vdb.jpg

mmv_db2.jpg

mm_vdb4.jpg

mm_vdb17.jpg

mm_vdb9.jpg

mm_vdb11.jpg

mm_vdb18.jpg

mm_vdb3.jpg

I'd like to thank VDB for this amazing piece. Despite the problems, which I hope can be remedied, the watch is real piece of art. It's obvious he's very talented in doing what he does.

I can't wait to see what he puts out in 2009.

Thanks for reading and for any feedback/comments you may have.

~Lex

this is the 2.watch in chrismas time crashec

i mean the shipping is the result

all my watches tested before shipping

but no problem...watch back and i make this ...

sorry

Others have told me how much time and effort you put into your work. I'm positive you must have tested it and it must have running perfectly before you sent it. The ride from Germany to the US must have been a rough one.

So no need to apologize. I appreciate you standing by your work and willing to take a look at my problems.

My problem now is having to take this off my wrist and not having it for a few weeks :(

lol :p

this vintage movements are only for "show" but not for wearing every day. 70 years old poor calibers which had never any service since 70 years... and a cleaning of the movement is not good enough if not 80% of all parts been changed.

If i would the seller... and my customers want a 100% perfect working watch... i wouldn

lol :p

this vintage movements are only for "show" but not for wearing every day. 70 years old poor calibers which had never any service since 70 years... and a cleaning of the movement is not good enough if not 80% of all parts been changed.

If i would the seller... and my customers want a 100% perfect working watch... i wouldn

As i have some background information from VDB Stephan

i wanna go inline with the statement of T

If you wanna have a perfect as new working movement in age of 70 years you have to look for every detail piece

to get this assambled you need more than two or three movements. (and of course many time and a goodwatchman)

one or two steps below and with luck you get one movement which needs only cleaning, but this one has 70 years of mechanical use behind too.

I always say to Stephan that he sell his watches too cheap. No one can imagine how much time and getting grey hairs is in his watches.

Sometimes the watch is pefecty assembled and then it stops again without knowing what happend...

His favor is to build watches, so sometimes the way is the target and this is one reason that his watches cost not 5000 or 10000 dollar.

But under the line they have to

(This is not a post to raise the prices, but for those who want to have a cheapo cheapo perfect Vintage Watch)

Cheers Helmut

You make some very strong statements. I agree, vintage movements are very delicate. But if I had known that the money I spent was for a show piece that wasn't functioning properly, I would not have bought it.

I know you are the person to talk to when it comes to movement. I really appreciate your feedback.

Are the coteberts difficult to keep running? A member had mentioned that they are easy to service.

Do other's with this movement or any other vintage movements agree with T?

T, even though they appear to be out of my price range, I would love to see pictures of your pieces. Can you please send me information?

I don

I agree with T ,

This vintage movements are very problematics, sometime runs perfectly for months, sometime only for days.

I have two cortebert ones, the two works perfectly and keep accurate time, one is one watch for 10 months and watch was wear during around 3 months without any problems.

I have 3 angelus, and quality is badest than a cortebert, one is on watch a wear every day since 4 months without any problems, except each day it take or loose 2 minutes, impossible to adjust it correctly,

The other in new condition are problematic since i receive it, change 2 wheels, work ok for 10 days and have problems again, so will be exchange with the one who run for 4 weeks in my other watch.

So now i will send 2 angelus for service for T.

Vintages movement is not for everyday wear :(

I don

I am a total newbie when it comes to the mechanics of the watch. This was the reason I joined these forums. To learn, so that I can appreciate the work that goes into making one.

I'm guilty of setting my expectations too high when I bought this. I was treating this purchase as a "LNIB in excellent condition" purchase off the sales corner. Apparently it is not. It appears I should be happy that the movement is acutally ticking :) T, thank you for being "real" and waking me up.

Your point about using multiple movements just to get one working explains it all .... and also the fact that there are no real "new" parts for the cortebert anymore. I should have considered this before I maade the purchase.

With this said, I certainly do not regret making this buy, else I would not have had the chance to have this discussion with you all B) I will focus on getting this baby fixed.

I will focus on getting this baby fixed.

S will make it running again...his after sale service is excellent, no worries there...

movements in general are delicate, vintage ones even more...especially the ones where the spare parts are rare...

I wear my Angelus from S for the past couple of months and so far so good...let's hope it will continue this way!

Accuracy of a movement is depending on many details... also on the owner of the Timepiece

a 70 years old poor movement with a "low" first service after 70 years could run (+-) 0-2 minutes per day

but i had also vintage movements with a accuracy of +10 seconds a day :p

i think the accuracy of a vintage movement is not very important... be happy if it

Accuracy of a movement is depending on many details... also on the owner of the Timepiece

a 70 years old poor movement with a "low" first service after 70 years could run (+-) 0-2 minutes per day

but i had also vintage movements with a accuracy of +10 seconds a day :p

i think the accuracy of a vintage movement is not very important... be happy if it