When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first post is pretty long

Hello everyone,

Im as new as it gets. I own one watch and it a tag gen that was given to me 10 years ago for my weeding present. still wear it every day. from vancouver, canada. I have ready quite a bit before posting so that I don't get squashed because a stupid newbie question. I have also read some replies to some redundant newbie questions, and to those who (understandably) get frustrated with the same questions by every one new to this sight and reply with little sarcasm, thanks on behalf of all the newbies. And for those who completely insult the "stupid newbies" ( and Im glad there are not many) I can only say that labor must have been tough for your mothers, since it's obvious you were born with rep watches on your wrist.

This is one of the best sites i have seen in a long time for any topic/hobby and i am astonished to see there are so many skilled and knowledgeably people, and not like the trekkies and star wars fans that know everything there is to know about something made up. ( i can only assume they don't ware nice watches, but prefer communicators on their wrists) If there are trekkies here, than im sure i will stand corrected.

Anyway just to add my own post of the mountain of stupid question, there, i see there are tons of scam websites out there, but I can also see people here rely on dealers/collectors. I searched everywhere for one particular wesite 99brand.com but i did not come accross anything here in the forums, unless spending my last 4 hours searching the site only proves that Canadians are just too laid back, Hense the reason im typing this while laying down in bed and watching TV with my Canadian Beer. Thanks in advance. Don't worry, I will not post again if I do not see anything in 5 min. I will wait at least 6 min before I do that. Joking. Thanks.

randy in vancouver

Welcome to RWG, i have heard of 99 brand but cant remember why, but like we say use the collectors here that way if you have a drama you can let us all know about it, non of the collectors like bad publicity and tent to keep their act pretty clean. There alr always small discepancys with descriptions on sites, like the wrong movement listed or massive claims or water resistance that could not be checked with any thing but the most expencive equipment. I have found most sport watches can be more than water resistance for a swim or a wet ride on a harley. If you have questions about a listing just ask. Your best tool here is to read and reasearch about the watch you want and the seller you want to use. Look through the sellers past sales ect, is he /she best for you geographicaly ect, some times the cheepest price is not always the best.

Welcome to RWG, i have heard of 99 brand but cant remember why, but like we say use the collectors here that way if you have a drama you can let us all know about it, non of the collectors like bad publicity and tent to keep their act pretty clean. There alr always small discepancys with descriptions on sites, like the wrong movement listed or massive claims or water resistance that could not be checked with any thing but the most expencive equipment. I have found most sport watches can be more than water resistance for a swim or a wet ride on a harley. If you have questions about a listing just ask. Your best tool here is to read and reasearch about the watch you want and the seller you want to use. Look through the sellers past sales ect, is he /she best for you geographicaly ect, some times the cheepest price is not always the best.

Thanks for the help. I guess its best to support those dealers that have been good the the people that are giving me good advise. Thats what I'll do.

warm welcome......

you can trust the collectors on this board for shure....

Forget everything about Grade AAA+ etc. ,

you can get good or bad Reps thats it.....

You will see there are a lot of reviews of watches here so you can build your own opinion,most of

the collectors carry the same watches maybe with different prices ;)

Maybe you read my post

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=89506&st=0

Thats not a defense to new members,

I only want to share my opinion on those first posts and that some climb in only to get a nice watch

and then never come back.... ;)

warm welcome......

you can trust the collectors on this board for shure....

Forget everything about Grade AAA+ etc. ,

you can get good or bad Reps thats it.....

You will see there are a lot of reviews of watches here so you can build your own opinion,most of

the collectors carry the same watches maybe with different prices ;)

Maybe you read my post

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=89506&st=0

Thats not a defense to new members,

I only want to share my opinion on those first posts and that some climb in only to get a nice watch

and then never come back.... ;)

I know what your saying. After all the crap the older guys have had to buy and go through and all the money and time lost, some newbie just comes along and get all this information without having to go though the same learning pains you did. I do understand, but you can always think of it this way, if you don't help the newbies that are wiling to do a little searching before buying, they all your doing is prolonging the existence of scam artists that are going to ruin this hobby. Granted, if some guy comes on with on post (first post) and asks every question that could have been answered by just reading some of the "newbie guides" than he may deserve to be scammed. It's not the fact that the newbie is losing money, it's the fact that the scammers are getting it when it should have been a reputable collector that has gone the extra miles and had to endure slower sales and profit to get to a point to be accepted by this community. I'm not by any means that we should feel obligated to help the ignorant people out there, but it's your choice to determine if this one newbie is just too lazy to go through some simple reading, or is just not common with forums to understand how simple they can be. Like is say, it's entirely up to you and no one should blame you for either choice, and no one will.

Ive been searching and for some reason i cannot find somekind of guide which is like watch buying 102 (i've read 101) - that states the different types of movements, features like AR, mechanical vs quartz, etc. does something like this exist. I don't mind reading and I would like to make a decision for my self on what kind of watch to buy as oppposed to asking "which one is better watch A or watch B". thanks.

No that is not my intention.

But this is a forum to talk,discuss,share experience

and also for help.

I don't like when people don't introduce them self and climb in

only to buy a watch,that's it.

I appreciate if a new member is really interested and will

allways help

As I told in my post English is not my native language.

Maybe I sound rude this was also not my intention.

So now have fun in this great forum ;)

Ask and you shall receive. My Noob Guide will answer some of the questions you have. It's linked in my signature. There's a link in there on the different movements...or look for a post by user The Zigmeisterzumba. His new signature has a link to his post on the different movements.

As to what watches to buy with mechanical vs. quartz...that's a tough one. The quartz ones will be more accurate and lower maintenance, but they don't sound right, or look right for the most part, as the high end gens that are being replicated for the most part have mechanical movements. So...we spend lots of money to get a mechanical marvel that needs to be maintained at great expense. HAH HAH...but that's how it is.

As to AR...some have them...some don't. There's not guide on that...just read the reviews or look at the dealer sites.

As to not finding 99replicas or whatever it was...they might be a decent site. There are lots of decent sites out there...you just have to wade past the scammers to find them. For the most part, the idea here is that you pay a bit more...but not a ridiculous amount more, to buy from collectors that users have used here...that OVERALL have a good reputation for supporting their product...and are providing top notch quality. Other sites might have the same reps our collectors get...but they might charge much more for them...or will leave you hanging dry if you get a crap movement etc.

If you have find a collector/dealer you use with good success...tell the forum and spread the gospel. But, forum experience says generally, that you will be hard pressed to find the same quality at the same price outside of these dealers. Others like Teejay use collectors from RWI that aren't listed here...or use some on cqout with good success...so you can search for their experiences too if you really want to save a couple more bucks or get a product that might not be available from the folks here.

Anyways...good luck. You get your reps 3-4 days faster in BC than I do in ON. :(

No that is not my intention.

But this is a forum to talk,discuss,share experience

and also for help.

I don't like when people don't introduce them self and climb in

only to buy a watch,that's it.

I appreciate if a new member is really interested and will

allways help

As I told in my post English is not my native language.

Maybe I sound rude this was also not my intention.

So now have fun in this great forum ;)

noted, thanks. Native or not, i could not tell. I have to sides of my. The one that wants to wear nice watches (nice does not mean expensive or name brand, just nice looking and decent built) and the other that wants to learn the intricate parts of this hoppy, including MODS, service, etc. Like many guys out there, i used to take my toys apart when i was a kid to see what made them tick (no pun intended). except this time I want to be able to put them back together without having parts left over. So my question to people here is should I buy quartz watches for everyday use, and mechanical for time to time use and modding? are there such thing as quality quartz reps or is that a oxi?

For me only automatic watches do the trick but that's only my opinion.

I don't like quartz.

Same to me I allways wanted to know how things work when I was younger ;)

For some work buy a cheap watch for training.

You will see you can get good results after some time.

If you need help in the future feel free to ask.

Ask and you shall receive. My Noob Guide will answer some of the questions you have. It's linked in my signature. There's a link in there on the different movements...or look for a post by user The Zigmeisterzumba. His new signature has a link to his post on the different movements.

As to what watches to buy with mechanical vs. quartz...that's a tough one. The quartz ones will be more accurate and lower maintenance, but they don't sound right, or look right for the most part, as the high end gens that are being replicated for the most part have mechanical movements. So...we spend lots of money to get a mechanical marvel that needs to be maintained at great expense. HAH HAH...but that's how it is.

As to AR...some have them...some don't. There's not guide on that...just read the reviews or look at the dealer sites.

As to not finding 99replicas or whatever it was...they might be a decent site. There are lots of decent sites out there...you just have to wade past the scammers to find them. For the most part, the idea here is that you pay a bit more...but not a ridiculous amount more, to buy from collectors that users have used here...that OVERALL have a good reputation for supporting their product...and are providing top notch quality. Other sites might have the same reps our collectors get...but they might charge much more for them...or will leave you hanging dry if you get a crap movement etc.

If you have find a collector/dealer you use with good success...tell the forum and spread the gospel. But, forum experience says generally, that you will be hard pressed to find the same quality at the same price outside of these dealers. Others like Teejay use collectors from RWI that aren't listed here...or use some on cqout with good success...so you can search for their experiences too if you really want to save a couple more bucks or get a product that might not be available from the folks here.

Anyways...good luck. You get your reps 3-4 days faster in BC than I do in ON. :(

Thanks for the input. I quess I'm lucky Im a quick learner, because I plan to learn what I can as quick as a I can and put together buying a watch 102. Again it should not determine what watch to buy, or who to buy from, but what details you may want (and pay a little more for) or don't necessary need etc, etc. I went right through the newbie sections including many posts from you, The Zigmeister, and many others here. Believe me when i say, if any of your are not watch makers (watchsmith), you could have fooled me with your knowledge. This always happens to me. It started along time ago with car stereos, cars, computers and now it appears watches. just when i think im just looking to buy something, it becomes a obsession and last a lifetime. Any way, sorry to see your leafs and sens play so bad this year (not really sorry) but I don't dislike you because unlike much of the perception from west coast Canadians, you actually helped me. Thanks again.

For me only automatic watches do the trick but that's only my opinion.

I don't like quartz.

Same to me I allways wanted to know how things work when I was younger ;)

For some work buy a cheap watch for training.

You will see you can get good results after some time.

If you need help in the future feel free to ask.

So would you say that i should buy the cheapest mechanical watch i can find regardless of the look and tinker around with them so if I screw it up, it won't make a difference and then tinker around with the good reps once i have confidence?

One point I feel is worth mentioning is that the more we learn, the more interesting the hobby becomes, I had loads of watches before getting a gen Omega SMP, yet I learnt nothing of watches, their movements, intricate details and so on until I joined TRC then here. Worth the subscription alone!