When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"14k tt wrapped" gold question

woodward2000

Ditto & I would add that if this is a watch you plan to keep, I would avoid gold (& 'jewels') altogether. With the current price of gold hovering around $850/ounce, it is ludicrous to think that you are going to get much gold on a $300 rep watch. In my experience, what you do get is a very thin layer of poor quality (off-color) gold plate that will wear off within weeks or months (assuming you do not scratch the case before then, which will reveal the silvery color of steel beneath making it obvious to the entire world that your watch is fake).

Gold plating/wrapping on replicas is as others have confirmed - a bit of a lottery! to say the least.

Genuine watches are often plaed with around 3 microns of gold and their wear life is only around 3 to 5 years at best.

Replicas may or may not have around 1 microns, so it's pretty evident that the wear life will be considerably less.

Many of the better quality genuine watches may be plated up to around 20 microns, but you pay for that privilege - but their wear life can be 20 years - also the watch may be pre-plated underneath prior to gold plating which can also affect the end result (nickel is one example).

I would not pay anything extra for whatever gold is cited on a replica watch.

Speaking from personal experience; the 18K gold plate on all of my watches fades while the so-called 14K tt plating is fully intact. I would absolutely spend the additional money. On my turn-o-graph the "18K green" bracelet turned my wrist green :yuk: .

Speaking from personal experience; the 18K gold plate on all of my watches fades while the so-called 14K tt plating is fully intact. I would absolutely spend the additional money. On my turn-o-graph the "18K green" bracelet turned my wrist green :yuk: .

Me too, if what i pay extra for, i actually recieve. That is more what i mean with crapshoot. I know there is good stuff out there. But getting it is a challenge to say the least, espcially from China.