When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question about SMP black

boneill32

First of all, hello to everyone here in the Omega area. I've been reading post after post and sticky after sticky for the past week soaking up as much as my tiny brain can handle. Who knew there was so much to replica watches. It seems like you guys have a very knowledgeable community and are serious about this hobby. This also has the feel of an addictive hobby. I haven't even bought a watch yet and I can't stop browsing online catalogs.

I'm currently looking at the SMP black. For some reason this watch speaks to me and I'd like to try and buy one. I won't ask where to get it, but I found two examples of this watch and I'm wondering what the differences are.

http://www.jpc8118.com/omse10001-seamaster...242-p-3418.html

http://www.rolex2u.com/omega-seamaster-aut...tch--18814.html

Why the $$ difference. Obviously the movement is different, but what other specs are different? I'm not necessarily looking for a dead on replica, but I would like the watch to function. I appreciate any input...

~Brian

First of all, hello to everyone here in the Omega area. I've been reading post after post and sticky after sticky for the past week soaking up as much as my tiny brain can handle. Who knew there was so much to replica watches. It seems like you guys have a very knowledgeable community and are serious about this hobby. This also has the feel of an addictive hobby. I haven't even bought a watch yet and I can't stop browsing online catalogs.

I'm currently looking at the SMP black. For some reason this watch speaks to me and I'd like to try and buy one. I won't ask where to get it, but I found two examples of this watch and I'm wondering what the differences are.

http://www.jpc8118.com/omse10001-seamaster...242-p-3418.html

http://www.rolex2u.com/omega-seamaster-aut...tch--18814.html

Why the $$ difference. Obviously the movement is different, but what other specs are different? I'm not necessarily looking for a dead on replica, but I would like the watch to function. I appreciate any input...

~Brian

I have the gen of that watch, in fact it's on my wrist right now. By-Tor did a review of Omegas and included the SMP. I would recommend that you read his review as you will learn both the strengths and flaws (what few flaws there are)in that particular rep. Overall it is considered a very good rep and at one time would have been considered one of the very best reps. If you're considering the SMP you might also look at the UPO (ultimate planet ocean). It's a more prestigious watch and the rep of it is generally considered even better than the SMP.

So far as the differences in the two reps that you linked are concerned, the biggest difference is the obviously the movement. The ETA movement is 28,800 like the gen omega 1120 and should have a similarly smooth sweep. The 21J asian movement is slower (21,600 I think) and would not sweep as smoothly. There could also be differences in longevity. Some people question whether we're still getting genuine swiss eta 28.36 movements or asian copies. That's certainly an issue when deciding whether to pay the difference. Another physical difference between the two watches is the crystal which is supposedly sapphire in the perfect clones watch (as per gen) and mineral glass in the other. If I remember By-Tor's review correctly, the SMP that he reviewed had AR on the inside of the crystal like the gen. If the one that By-Tor reviewed had AR, I would expect the perfect clones watch to also have AR.

The biggest justification I see for buying the more expensive watch, however, is the dealers. Perfect clones is one of the recommended dealers on the forum and generally has a very good or even excellent reputation. The other guy I've never heard of. Realizing that there are a lot of scammers out there, I'm leary of sellers I've never heard of.

There was once a comparison of the gen SMP to the basic black sub. It makes for interesting reading to anyone interested in either or both watches. BTW the SMP wins which made me feel good since I own the SMP.

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/smpvssub.html

Hello.this is alina ,new member of this forum. Nice to meet you .

Usually ,the main difference of the replica is the watch movement . Then it will be the detail meterial and meterial .

I can't open one of the link you post . I think you can contact the seller to check all the details also the watch guaranty .

The one linked in the last post and the one from Perfect Clones....

* wrong date font (very wrong)

* terrible pearl in the bezel insert

* wrong size and font of numbers in the bezel insert - very obvious

* the now famous issue of crownguards and HE valve placing - both wrong again.

You can spot it's a rep very easily. I also have the gen black SMP, and gen PO.

FYI - Perfect Clones and Trusty work together, and sell prectically the same range and the same watches.......

You'll not find an accurate rep of this model right now....those that exist are due to extensive modding I believe.

Thanks for the replies. I actually went ahead and placed and order from Trusty for the 21J version. I'll post back and give impressions from the eyes of a n00B.

Another question, if I need to have the watch serviced or the band shortened, is this something that a mall jeweler could do or would I need to deal with Trusty Time for service? Would a retail watch store refuse to service it b/c its a rep?

Hi Boneill32,

Iam fairly new to this iam in the UK. I took my first rep a TAG CARRERA to DEBENHAMS 3 weeks ago (a department store kinda like a poor mans Macy's or Bloomingdales for the people who don't live in the UK) to have the links taken out and they didnt bat an eyelid. Well they didn't to my face, tought one really, servicing is a different game altogether though, some of the senior members like toadtorrent or by-tor could give you a much better answer.

I got my first watch from PT, TT seem OK let us know how the watch turns out.

Regards

David

Hi Boneill32,

Iam fairly new to this iam in the UK. I took my first rep a TAG CARRERA to DEBENHAMS 3 weeks ago (a department store kinda like a poor mans Macy's or Bloomingdales for the people who don't live in the UK) to have the links taken out and they didnt bat an eyelid. Well they didn't to my face, tought one really, servicing is a different game altogether though, some of the senior members like toadtorrent or by-tor could give you a much better answer.

I got my first watch from PT, TT seem OK let us know how the watch turns out.

Regards

David

Luckily for me there is a little watch shop next to the food court in the shopping centre in my town so I was able to get my strap bracelet adjusted there for

Most retail watch stores that sell high end watches would refuse to work on it if they know it's a rep. To that end, I wouldn't go near an Omega AD with that watch. However, in the area where I live there are plenty of jewelry stores that don't carry any high end watch brands. They likely wouldn't spot it as a rep and you might get them to adjust the band for a fee. That's the approach that I used with my rep ingeneur and it worked like a charm. In fact, the guy said to me as he was using a jeweler's hammer on the band, "I bet you don't like me hammering away on your brand new IWC." He clearly believed the watch to be a gen even though it had the white dial which happens to be a phantom in that particular model. He did a great job on the band btw.

Servicing is a different matter. Many watchmakers won't service reps and any watchmaker worth their salt will know it's a rep the minute they open the case. My question would be, why service a $100 watch? When it dies, throw it away and buy another, or buy something else.

• 5 months later...
+1

+2

There are NO good 2254.50 reps currently available.

The current offerings from most reliable dealers are all the same.

VERY BAD dials. Terrible lume on indices, wrong color as well.

Cases are too thick, engraving is inaccurate, even the ss band is not well done.

Pass on this rep.IMO