When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Chopard

watchlover1

Thinking about getting a Chopard GT XL.

Are these worth getting, if so which would be the best out of the box.

Thanks

Hi there, I'm thinking of getting one too, either the 2007 Chrono, Grey Dial

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=75878

Or the 2008 Chrono Black

for the black one, I would be waiting till February for a dealer to correct some flaws, whereas the 2007 grey dial one you can pretty much get them from the usual dealers.

Hi there, I'm thinking of getting one too, either the 2007 Chrono, Grey Dial

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=75878

Or the 2008 Chrono Black

for the black one, I would be waiting till February for a dealer to correct some flaws, whereas the 2007 grey dial one you can pretty much get them from the usual dealers.

Which flaws do you mean?

I think the flae has something to do with the lume on the markers.

I have the Mille Miglia GT XL Chrono Black Face and love it. It has the 7750 movement which is a bit loud, I haven't had it serviced yet and am going to, but its nothing you can't live with.

So far its been great, kept accurate time and feels good on the wrist. It is a thick watch with the rubber, meaning its hard to wear with a dress shirt in an office enviorment, atleast for me. Some of the flaws are well documented, use the search function and you can find info on it. I belive some of the stems had MIGLIA spelled AILGIM, truely a mirror image! Lume is ok, not great on the mine. Chronos work but I don't use them at all.

Good luck finding a good one!

I have the Mille Miglia GT XL Chrono Black Face and love it. It has the 7750 movement which is a bit loud, I haven't had it serviced yet and am going to, but its nothing you can't live with.

The noise is a classic complaint of an out-of-the-box A7750...and 21j as well for that matter. I'll tell you now, when properly serviced, the rotor is silent. Some have recommended putting grease in the bearing to silence it...but if you look up the noisy rotor post in my Noob Guide linked in my signature, you'll read why from a watchmaker's perspective this is a bad idea for the movement (good idea for the noise though).

The noise I find very tolerable. The noise on the 21j Asian non-chronos is worse than the A7750's...but not so bad that I care enough to spend $200 USD more for the ETA-non-ETA "Sino-Swiss" variant.

The $12 DG2813 or $25 DG4813 is the ultimate disposable movement. Reliable...AND easy to obtain and replace if you have to.

Look up Chopard posts by Lanikai. I remember him doing a some pictorials on some he bought.

Thanks Toad! I have read every post on the 7750 movement issues and bubba-fix vs. real fix. I learned a long time ago you should never ask a question you have answer for yourself and I try and stick to this philosophy, although I do break it sometimes.

My issue with fixing the movement noise is two fold. 1) I do not have nor have found a reputable watchsmith to service the movement. I took the watch to one place and they sent it to their watch person who refused to work on it. I don't know who to contact or send it to in order to have the issue fixed. 2) I am having a difficult time justifying spending $200 on a watch that cost me $250, seems to me I might as well just buy another one.

So if you could help point me in a direction to find a component watchsmith in CONUS or Chicago that would be great. Otherwise I have what I have and its fine.

BTW. I do not have the confidence nor the tools to do even a simple repair such as the ones suggested on the forum and I am not about to put automotive ball bearing grease in my watch, rep or otherwise..

I belive some of the stems had MIGLIA spelled AILGIM, truely a mirror image! Lume is ok, not great on the mine. Chronos work but I don't use them at all.

Good luck finding a good one!

I would not expect any rep from the dealers here to be superlumed (pls correct me if i'm wrong) but yes, the mirror image on the crown is mainly my grouse, and is what i was referring to in my post.