When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken 001 / 111 Painted Dial

sattop

Yes, this one turned out really nice.

I'll eventually get the correct OP Caseback.

For now It'll have the display back.... the Hamilton's too nice to cover up.

A real Gen crown too maybe, something about the T48... seems like its beveled and not totally squared off.

...something about the T48... seems like its beveled and not totally squared off.

Could you please post a macro of the T48 crown. If what you say is true, it's quite disconcerting for a person like myself, currently awaiting delivery of three T48 crowns.

I hope it's only an angle of the pictures were taken, please tell me I'm right... :mellow:

The gen crowns for the a/b series are not squared off... there is typically a slight bevel. Auto crowns are usually more squared off. And reps crowns seem to have gone from a little too much bevel to a little too sharply squared off lately. The T48's, both the ss and ti that I have, are absolutely 1:1.

I'll try to post a direct comparison pic later today.

Robert in SoCal

The gen crowns for the a/b series are not squared off... there is typically a slight bevel. Auto crowns are usually more squared off. And reps crowns seem to have gone from a little too much bevel to a little too sharply squared off lately. The T48's, both the ss and ti that I have, are absolutely 1:1.

I'll try to post a direct comparison pic later today.

Robert in SoCal

Not sure we're talking about the same thing here. When I say beveled I mean the slight tendency towards the conical shape of crown towards the CG. You can see this quite clearly in the pics posted above. I didn't mean the edge bevel on the teeth.

All gen crowns used on mech Pams pre G-series are the same, no difference in bevel (cut) or teeth number. When I say that I mean Vendome era ones, Pre-V crowns were slightly different, but only so slightly, and G-series introduced a crown with teeth that have lower pitch and smaller angle between the top and the base of a teeth. If you noticed any different look or shape on pre-A, A and B series, that's most likely due to polishing effect at the top of the teeth as well as edges, normal wear and tear being the likely factor.

I believe the 'bewelling' effect in pictures above is mostly caused by angle of photo shooting, at least I'm hoping they are.

babola

Ahh... now I see what you are referring to. Got out my Opti-Visor and compared gen vs. T48 and you're suspicions were correct. Camera distortion can definitely factor in when shooting smaller objects that require one to get in close. The parallax effect comes into play. Add to that fresh cut teeth vs. slightly worn plus shiny highlights. When doing the side by side it made me consider hitting the top of the T48 teeth with some 1200 grit (very lightly) to induce some winding wear, knock down the sharpness ever so slightly.

Robert in SoCal

Not sure we're talking about the same thing here. When I say beveled I mean the slight tendency towards the conical shape of crown towards the CG. You can see this quite clearly in the pics posted above. I didn't mean the edge bevel on the teeth.

All gen crowns used on mech Pams pre G-series are the same, no difference in bevel (cut) or teeth number. When I say that I mean Vendome era ones, Pre-V crowns were slightly different, but only so slightly, and G-series introduced a crown with teeth that have lower pitch and smaller angle between the top and the base of a teeth. If you noticed any different look or shape on pre-A, A and B series, that's most likely due to polishing effect at the top of the teeth as well as edges, normal wear and tear being the likely factor.

I believe the 'bewelling' effect in pictures above is mostly caused by angle of photo shooting, at least I'm hoping they are.

babola

Ahh... now I see what you are referring to. Got out my Opti-Visor and compared gen vs. T48 and you're suspicions were correct. Camera distortion can definitely factor in when shooting smaller objects that require one to get in close. The parallax effect comes into play. Add to that fresh cut teeth vs. slightly worn plus shiny highlights. When doing the side by side it made me consider hitting the top of the T48 teeth with some 1200 grit (very lightly) to induce some winding wear, knock down the sharpness ever so slightly.

Robert in SoCal

Like minds think alike...:) I own few 'Palp' crowns from '06 on which I used 2000 grit sandpaper to reduce the sharpness of the teeth as they were so sharp every time I'd wind the watch some bits off skin from my thumb and forefinger would be 'stripped' off and lodged between the teeth...I know it sounds strange but that's what used to happen to me (or I should start developing a thicker skin, ha, ha). Then I'd apply the Cape Cod cloth polish to smooth the brushed effect and introduce that used crown feel and look.

I'll get my T48 crowns in few days, will be able to say a little more about the fit and finish then :)

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

Then I'd apply the Cape Cod cloth polish to smooth the brushed effect and introduce that used crown feel and look.

I'll get my T48 crowns in few days, will be able to say a little more about the fit and finish then :)

cheers,

babola

That's a great idea re. finishing it off with the Cap Cod cloth... thanks for sharing!

Robert in SoCal