When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another UK Newbie

g3act

Hello everyone

Very new to this scene, so please be gentle! :p This forum looks fantastic, already gleaned some good info, and barely scratched the surface!

Got sold a cheap Omega replica at work last week. Already one of the hands has fallen off, but it sparked my interest in the scene, and various web searches have lead me here. Hope to find a great watch with the forums help.

I have been surfing the web for long enough to know that forums are the place to cut through the BS and find the facts

Anyway, Hello to all!!!!

Welcome g3!

I have been surfing the web for long enough to know that forums are the place to cut through the BS and find the facts

True, very true, and you will find a no nonsense approach, and a group of WIS, with little equal anywhere.

Search and read, and all will be revealed....and if for some reason the absolute answer is not evident, just ask, and I'm sure that answer will be forthcoming.

Welcome aboard.

Offshore

Welcome g3!

True, very true, and you will find a no nonsense approach, and a group of WIS, with little equal anywhere.

Search and read, and all will be revealed....and if for some reason the absolute answer is not evident, just ask, and I'm sure that answer will be forthcoming.

Welcome aboard.

Offshore

Cheers!

Really want to get a Tag Heuer Link Chrono and an Omega Planet Ocean with the Orange Bezel.

Quick question - Is it acceptable to jump straight in an approach a collector ( pulling the trigger?), or do you need to put in some groundwork and establish yourself on the scene first. Thing is, I have little to add at the moment, as I don't really have a decent watch to comment on.

Also, I have seen reviews for watches like the two mentioned above that were released up to 2 years ago. How long do these watches stay around for? Do they keep manufacturing until demand dries up, or just make a set batch then move on? I imagine they must make loads of them to make it worth their while?

Cheers in advance

Quick question - Is it acceptable to jump straight in an approach a collector ( pulling the trigger?), or do you need to put in some groundwork and establish yourself on the scene first. Thing is, I have little to add at the moment, as I don't really have a decent watch to comment on.

Astute and considerate query. Back in the day, all of five years ago, I would have said 'yes'. As then it were more a covert, backroom enterprise. Today, it is more like a trip to the Tesco; web based sites like shopping Amazon.com. On the 'interboard' "Trading Zone" perhaps indeed you would need to establish a personal profile of trust to enter into a deal with another registered member. However, the 'collector's as you and the board term them, and the majority certainly are; of both replica and genuine pieces, are usually referred as 'dealers'. Simple free market jobbers. Your money is just as good as the member who has 6000+ posts and three years in. A visit to the "Watch Collector's Zone" and you are in the proverbial "Candy Shop", have at it. Certainly many registered members join, do their due diligence gleaning the infos here, make their own decisions, buy a piece, or two, or twenty, and never post.

However, you'll find that there are many subtle anomalies to 'similar' replicas, different grades of detail and function that are reflected in price. A quick and rash decision may leave you down, with certainly what you paid for, but not necessarily what you 'wanted'. At this point you may not even know what "what" is!. And too, the standard operating procedure among the many 'recommended' dealers is anything but. They all are legitimate (or they wouldn't be considered here @ RWG) but all tend their wares to their own set of personal guidelines and ethics with regard to 'trade'. There often exists a 'cultural' component. An open mind, thinking outside our own 'Western set standard' must be considered, yet, there are indeed dealers that reside Stateside, and too in U.K. You have to find a 'comfort zone'. This all takes time, and to do best by yourself, a lot of due diligence. That is the fun part. Discoveries, revelations, an incidental 'hunt' where you will stumble across particulars to the hobby you never dreamt, brands you never considered, and chararcters that will leave you in awe and inspired.

Kick and click around a while. They all come for the watches, but it is a WHOLE lot more. An then some.

Cheers!