When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Paypal

Lifting

I paid for a watch recently with Paypal and about an hour later received a phone call from them asking me to confirm I had made the transaction. I have never had this before, and was a bit curious. I gave no other account details, so was wondering is this them being very security cautious or something else?

Hi,

It's never happened to me, but since they didn't ask for any other information I'd think it's a legit security confirmation, like my credit card providers occasionally perform.

The only way to know for sure is to contact PayPal yourself (so you are sure of who you are talking to) and ask them if it was them...

Hope this helps,

Tony.

BEWARE! BEWARE! BEWARE! Paypal is making a concentrated effort to shut down accounts trading in replicated goods (handbags, watches, clothes, etc). While it is legal in the USA to purchase replicated goods, it is illegal to sell them. Paypal is calling to confirm that you made the payment and so they can shut their account down and report the reciever to the proper authoroties. This is why many have switched to MoneyGram or Western Union.....(though they are a hasle). Just be careful, and understand the market you are dealing in is based on good faith with a lot of scammers out there. So buy and spend at your own risk. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah it happens sometimes depending on PayPal's internal triggers...a large amount of cash or a recurring payment sometimes sets it off...might also depend on the party initiating the transaction (IE- you pay an invoice to an entity PayPal considers "questionable")