When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gold plating service

Samurai

Of late I have been staying away from Gold reps because of the quality of the gold coating.

Came across this site... artisanplating.com .... these guys offer proper gold plating on watches.....1 micron to 10 micron and above.

Am really tempted to try them out by sending them a watch head. Anyone have any experience/know about these guys?

Cheers

Mate,

I was chasing up some plating last year for someone in the USA, and enquired with the guy I use sometimes here in Oz.

His reply-

I know of a company who do high quality gold plating mainly for luxury aircraft fit out, similar to fittings you dealt with at XXXXXXX

(Edit-my former employer! Who I did a lot of work on Super yachts with this guy).

They also offer a wide range of colour variation and should have no issue with thickness. They are called Signature Plating in Houston, Texas, look up www.signatureplating.com Hope this has been of some help, let me know if you want any further information.

May be worth a follow up as well.

Offshore

Mate,

I was chasing up some plating last year for someone in the USA, and enquired with the guy I use sometimes here in Oz.

His reply-

May be worth a follow up as well.

Offshore

Thanks Offshore....will check them out

Samurai mate,

Actually, there are gold-plating guys in our shores... We'll discuss further when we meet during CNY week? ;)

Haven't tried any of them, TBH. :p

That sounds great mate. Let's trade secrets over the gtg next week :p

Artisan plating has yet to return a single RWGer's phonecall or email as far as I know.

I use a guy at the cheap jewelry/watch battery replacemnent/engraving store at a local low-rent mall--he's done yellow gold a few times for 20-30 bucks a pop (same price for a crown as for a whole case) and special ordered rose gold, which was pretty expensive because I had to buy his minimum order, like $100's worth of liquid. But still cheaper than than Artisan's quotes and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new rose gold patek rep.

When pricing out plating, keep in mind you're paying for skill and time, not the miniscule amount of gold you're gettig put on your watch.

Anyone looked into a US source for PVD gold?

Gold plateing services are everywhere. The quality ranges from OK to great along with the price. There are even guys who can do it at your place. They usualy do car badges abd suchlike.

For the Queenslanders I can recomend HGP Refinishing Services in Brisbane (look in phone book). I have used them many times before as they are the choice of many jewelers in this part of the world.

Col.

Artisan plating has yet to return a single RWGer's phonecall or email as far as I know.

I use a guy at the cheap jewelry/watch battery replacemnent/engraving store at a local low-rent mall--he's done yellow gold a few times for 20-30 bucks a pop (same price for a crown as for a whole case) and special ordered rose gold, which was pretty expensive because I had to buy his minimum order, like $100's worth of liquid. But still cheaper than than Artisan's quotes and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new rose gold patek rep.

When pricing out plating, keep in mind you're paying for skill and time, not the miniscule amount of gold you're gettig put on your watch.

Anyone looked into a US source for PVD gold?

avitt does DLC gold i think, his is pricey 300$ +

Go to Caswell - http://www.caswellplating.com

Order their fastgold kit and do it yourself - it's not that hard if you have the skills to disassemble the watch - I've done a couple in my basement.

They use genuine gold so the prices depend on the market price at the time, the plating gear will cost about $50 but it will last a long time.

You don't need the pro gear for a watch, the plug-n-plate kits work fine.

The big trick is being very clean, but that's the same with anything to do with watches.