When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Overview of the 2009 Models announced today

dluddy

• 1 month later...
That DLC'd 332 is the stand-out by far. The rest just make me shrug and go 'pfff, whatever'.

But once again, whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.......and in this case they've succeeded.

They made it a frickin' Ratty instead of Flyback! :blink::frusty:

Why oh why? I have it on very good authority that a lot of 213 Ratty's have been in and out of the OP service shop over the last few years, fairly unreliable movement the OPXVIII considering it's only a couple of extra gears and an additional second hand difference from the sturdy XIX-powered 212. Such little things matter though.

Of course, now there's sadly little likelihood of seeing an accurate rep (would be fantasy, not something the makers are keen on these days), whereas if it were a flyback, then *bingo* a 7750 and we'd be laughing.

But you know, I think this one is a special case for a rep project.....would love to see a 7750-based 'Flyback' but with Rattrapante dial and a faux extra second hand and case pusher. Faux, you say? Yes I do. The DLC process as we saw with the Blacksteel would set this off a treat - interesting they're using DLC now as opposed to their 'ceramic' PVD.

I'm going to petition this one after CNY, about time my PAM love was rekindled. If not, then you know what? Bugger it. Time to spring for the gen. Held off on the 233 last year after the massive price hike throughout the industry, but this one, mmmmmm. Tough decisions lie ahead.

:drool:

About time this one got a healthy bump.

Why? Well amongst the frenzy surrounding the new Top Gun.....

......ZZzzzzzzz...... :yawn:.....sorry, dropped off there for a moment :p

Where was I? Yes in amidst the feeding frenzy surrounding a 'new' IWC, there goes that lovely gen PAM 332 released into the wild. I for one say this is one where we put up with a faux rattrapante - dial and case pusher at 7 - just to have such a gorgeous beauty on the wrist.

We've all seen the official pics...

pam332logo.jpg

paneraipam332jpg.jpg

But if that doesn't convince you, how about a wrist shot? (not mine I hasten to add....far too girly a wrist and horrible a shirt cuff :shocking: )

That DLC treatment to what IMO is the finest Panerai case of all (44mm '1950' chrono) really sets off the piece, add in the bright blue details, and we have one of the best-looking PAMs ever made.

:drool:

picture16.png

indeed doc..one of the best pams!

It seems kinda strange to me that litle discussion has been made in the forum concerning the new PAMs...I am wondering why

Do we have any info about when the dealers are going to present us the reps of these??

indeed doc..one of the best pams!

It seems kinda strange to me that litle discussion has been made in the forum concerning the new PAMs...I am wondering why

Do we have any info about when the dealers are going to present us the reps of these??

Well speaking for myself, only the 332 is worthy of discussion. The rest of the 2009 stable are merely worthy of indifference. In-house movement development at the expense of design aesthetic, that's where they're at right now....a classic case of one step forwards, two steps back.

Not a one-off either, the 2008 crop was fairly woeful, and I think it's safe to say OP has lost its way a little over the past 2-3 years (for which Bonati must take the blame) and the rep market has just mirrored that.

Watches are no different to say cars or computers, in that trends tend to be cyclical. And I have it on very good authority that the makers are no longer interested in PAMs as they're "unsaleable". Make of that what you will.

• 2 weeks later...