When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 88 Gen Dial and hands

mwee

Hi,

Need help from Pam experts if the gen Pam 88 dial will fit the latest ultimate Pam 88? Have been offered the gen dial and hands so was wondering if this will work? Please any opinions and advice on this will be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Gen dial should work fine. But you will probably have to play with the gen hands to get them to fit on the A7750 gmt. IMHO, the ultimate 88 dial is fabulous as well but I always try and pick-up gen dials so go for it. By the way if you take a pass I would be interested. But don't take a pass unless the person is trying to get $1,000 for it - in which case I would take a pass too. :lol: Congrats though. A great franken always starts with a gen dial and you are on your way. Just bear in mind that the gen is trading anywhere from $3500 to $4500 - none of this $5500 crap anymore.

Gen dial should work fine. But you will probably have to play with the gen hands to get them to fit on the A7750 gmt. IMHO, the ultimate 88 dial is fabulous as well but I always try and pick-up gen dials so go for it. By the way if you take a pass I would be interested. But don't take a pass unless the person is trying to get $1,000 for it - in which case I would take a pass too. :lol: Congrats though. A great franken always starts with a gen dial and you are on your way. Just bear in mind that the gen is trading anywhere from $3500 to $4500 - none of this $5500 crap anymore.

Hi Kruzer,

Thanks for the opinion. I do think as well the Rep dial is great but its just the DW bothers me. there does not seem to be any beveling on it. The price is actually not too bad (at least I thnk its not too bad). Sending you a pm.

Cib0rgman, I think mwee is referring to the Date window. mwee, the latest "ultimate" dial has an improved date window when compared to the DSn dial, but I doubt it is as cleanly beveled as the gen.

Hi Archibld,

No unfortunately, the so-called best version does not have any bevelling on the date window. I think DSN latest 88 dial has it but not the one that I got. It really spoils what I think is a pretty good dial.

Hi Archibld,

No unfortunately, the so-called best version does not have any bevelling on the date window. I think DSN latest 88 dial has it but not the one that I got. It really spoils what I think is a pretty good dial.

You may well be right--It's very hard to tell even at 10X.

Gen on the left, my ultimate 88 on the right:

post-53-1232430262_thumb.jpg

You may well be right--It's very hard to tell even at 10X.

Gen on the left, my ultimate 88 on the right:

Thanks for the comparison pics. Actually, it seems that both are about the same! :)

So maybe the ultimate dial is not too bad.

when the gen dial arrvies, I will take a pic of the ultimate, DSN and gen dial for comparison.

ooops sorry for the double post...

Looks like there is a bevel on the gen---hard to see on the rep because of inferior date mag.

I see that projectologist, who has a gen, is reading this--Robert, what do you think?

Sorry... was looking for my 10x attachment, couldn't find it. But with the 5x, the gen window (E series 88)

has what I would call ever so slightly rounded edges rather than beveled. To the naked eye it looks like a

simple cut out w/o a sharp edge but no obvious beveling or rounding. I've only seen reps via pics but so far

the difference doesn't appear to be anywhere near significant. The quality, or lack of, of the cyclops is to

me a much bigger issue.

My fear would be that having a rep cyclops/crystal paired with a gen dial could possibly nullify any hoped for

improvement in the area of the date window.

Sorry... was looking for my 10x attachment, couldn't find it. But with the 5x, the gen window (E series 88)

has what I would call ever so slightly rounded edges rather than beveled. To the naked eye it looks like a

simple cut out w/o a sharp edge but no obvious beveling or rounding. I've only seen reps via pics but so far

the difference doesn't appear to be anywhere near significant. The quality, or lack of, of the cyclops is to

me a much bigger issue.

My fear would be that having a rep cyclops/crystal paired with a gen dial could possibly nullify any hoped for

improvement in the area of the date window.

Hi,

Your point on the cyclops is a very good point and something I was also thinking about. am trying to get a gen crystal to help solve this.