When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

coming around to my 1st PAM...

kitersoze

oh lordy, i can't believe it but i'm startin' to come around to Pam's.

when i came to this forum i'd only ever seen a coupla pams and at first, it was still the same reaction for me: what's the bfd?! not simplicity (like PP is for me), but kinda plain, and not to my taste.

but alot of people here are pam-gasmic, n the longer i've looked, the more they've grown on me. like a fungus... :shock:

now i find myself looking n researching n researching some more, n then getting that frickin' annoying little itch in the depth of your gut... :brow:

i've read tons of material, n of course to each his own taste. but one thing i can't seem to find a definitive answer on (which may be bcz everyone except me already knows as a matter of pure obviousness) is what PAM's (and I guess any rep for that matter) width measurements are actually describing.

i'm trying to decide between 40mm and 44mm (radiomir 42's just don't do it for me, YET!), and i don't know if 40 and 44 refer to case width excluding crown and CG, or including it.

i have, for example, a MB timewalker chrono SS band, which i love. it's supposed size is 43mmx15mm. but it wears big, at least to me or my eye (i've got a 7" wrist). but 43 is left edge to right edge, excluding crown. when you add the crown it's closer to 48mm. and that watch has a relatively unobtrusive crown (no CG) and two chrono pushers. the Pam's crown, and CG especially, are quite substantial and i would imagine add significantly to the appeared 'size' of it on the wrist. so does 40 n 44 mm cover the ENTIRE width of PAM's, left edge to CG? if not, what is the actual width, left edge to CG of a 40mm n 44mm. the 44mm's have so many more models available, but i don't want to look like i'm wearing a manhole cover (overall proportion is my ideal). i think you should wear the watch; not have it wear you.

also, now in some threads of knowledgeable pam-lovers, i've repeatedly heard that leather wears much smaller than SS. so that even small wrists (<6.5") can wear 44's w/ leather. but SS bands should go to 40's. i don't understand that at all. regardless of what band, doesn't the watch itself sitting on your wrist look what it's gonna look like? i'm normally a SS band guy for non-dress watches, but i really like the SS and some of the leather straps of the PAM's. if this "leather wears small" thing is actually true, then omg i may have to get not one PAM, but two! just 2, right? only 2 goddammit... i mean it! :bangin:

cheers and thanks in advance to any with advice/opinions!

44mm Panerai's wear slightly larger than my MB Timwalker Chrono. It is measured at the case excluding the crown. With a 7 inch wrist, you should be fine with a 44mm Pam with leather or SS bracelet. I have a 6.75 inch wrist and they fit me just fine.

Btw, leather straps are the way to go. You could own just 1 Pam but a strap change transforms the whole personality of the watch.

here's a link: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...=chinkiechunkie

my daily beater:

GT3Wristshots015.jpg

cc

I've never been the biggest PAM guy, but I do like naturally aspirated Porsche's - like GT3RS's for example... :whistling:

Do you regret giving that one back or what?

But then you scored something good in its place as I recall so its not so bad right?

OK back on topic, that PVD job is great. Pretty close to the real color and sheen I would say...

44mm Panerai's wear slightly larger than my MB Timwalker Chrono. It is measured at the case excluding the crown. With a 7 inch wrist, you should be fine with a 44mm Pam with leather or SS bracelet. I have a 6.75 inch wrist and they fit me just fine.

Btw, leather straps are the way to go. You could own just 1 Pam but a strap change transforms the whole personality of the watch.

here's a link: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...=chinkiechunkie

my daily beater:

GT3Wristshots015.jpg

cc