When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Attention Dealers And Watch Makers.....

jfreeman420

I got my two tone solid gold daytona a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that the three piece end link has a thin piece of gold wrapped around a solid piece of gold. Am I correct to assume that this is probably 14K gold wrapped around a lower karat to make it appear as if it is one piece of solid 14k? If it is I am ok with it but I was wondering Why they don't make a full gold daytona, yachtmaster, and president this way?

I remember a while ago there was a store in my local mall that claimed to have jewelry made this way. It looked, felt, weighed and tested for solid gold but was quite inexpensive. I had a solid gold president and paid over $2,000 for it. I would be very pleased if they could manufacture an entire watch this way and not just the midlinks. I would gladly pay up to $800 or $900 for it as well.

Does anyone know if this is possible or if it is being done already? This would be a genuine "triple wrapped" Gold rep that I wouldn't be embarassed to wear.

Am I correct to assume that this is probably 14K gold wrapped around a lower karat to make it appear as if it is one piece of solid 14k?

You are probably close to the real deal. I've read thet it is one of the methods to make gold wrapping very close to solid gold.

Just stay away from solid gold in reps... nobody can be 100% what we get. But we pay a premium... often for nothing...

That's partially true, I guess. I have no problem w/ solid gold--as long as a trusted dealer says "solid 18k gold." what I do not understand is what anyone would pay extra for solid 14k in a rolex. Rolexes are 18k which looks different from 18K. Why have a heavier rep if it won't fool the eye first?

JOSH makes a solid gold DD for about $4,000

That is a bit ridiculous considering I bought a genuine pre owned 1981 president for $3850 and a 1992 model for $4200. You can also get a really nice geneve president with diamonds for about $3500.

What I would like to see is more like a gold shell replica. Rolex made gold shell watches back in the 70's.

They wouldn't have to use a lot of gold, and it would never fade.