When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Little lume shot of Pam and phantom pam hommage

phaedo

A few months ago I got a custom watch made from Flav over at the geeks. It is what is shown in my avitar, swiss 6497, with black lume. A very nice case, great chunky crown, nice tight crown guard. One small problem I have noticed is there is a small blemish on the minute hand crossing into the lume, but otherwise I like it. Not that impressed with the black lume, it doesn't glow that well, but that sounds like par for the course with it.

Anyway, here is a picture of it:

DSC00077a.jpg

Decided to take a couple of lume shots (finally) of both this one and my DSN 113 side by side. Took a bit of time figuring the camera out, but here is a 1 second exposure of both side by side after 30 seconds holding them up to a lightbulb.

DSC00067a.jpg

It came out looking quite good I think, but given the fantastic superlume job on the DSN, you can see the difference. The DSN is on the left, the phantom on the right.

Now to the 10 minute later picture. You will notice a problem I have with the DSN. It fell on the ground during the photoshoot! The minute hand fell off. Guess it needs to go to a watchsmith now... but it is still running, which is a start. You can really see the degradation of the lume between the two and how the black lume has worked out over that time on the phantom. (It is on the numbers and indicies, not the hands). In any event, it is a nice watch none the less. Shame black doesn't glow as well as I might like.

DSC00075a.jpg

Opps what happend to the min hand of thr DSN?

The watch wasn't sitting securely enough and slipped, falling onto the ground. Not carpeted. Now do I risk opening it up myself, or take it somewhere for them to fix... Easy enough in theory to fix I presume, but not being technically minded, I may break the whole watch trying to fix it myself.