When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to do with a Genuine TI caseset

rnewbie

Guys,

This is sitting in around in my parts box and am not sure what to do with it.

I'm really not sure what to do with it. I've even contemplated selling it.

Genuine TI case, Gen TI bezel, Genuine CG (and screws), Genuine Caseback (caseback is a shadow for a Auto PAM)

I'm leaning towards making an 89 (caseback would be wrong for it, but it wouldn't bother me at all).

Taking suggestions!

case_a.jpg

case_b.jpg

This was just hanging arround in your parts box??????? Damn thing looks brand new! It'd be worth thousands, yes?

Build somthing with it! Now!

Col.

Yea, I got my hands on it a few months ago. I was kind of "PAMED" out and was seriously considering on selling the caseset. But I think I'm getting my juices flowing again.

Which PAM was that case for? I ask as the flat area outside of the lugs looks about twice as wide as it should for an 089. Might not make a good 089. It would probably make a better whatever that case was originally for.

The caseset is for a 240. I could be wrong but I think the 89 and 240 use the same caseset.

Congrats on the case. Given that it has a strap changing system you are obviously working with a J or later so it would have to be a 240 or perhaps the 296 Special Edition (but that is on a bracelet). I thought the 89 was discontinued with the G series and so it wouldn't have that particular system - but I could be wrong on that and someone can correct me. On the manual side I know they still make the 177 and 176 but I don't know if they updated the strap changing system. I wouldn't normally bring up the hand winds as they require milling the case but crystals with proper magnification can be hard to come by and I would probably go that way without an automatic crystal. These cases do occasionally come up in the second-hand market as the strap system tends to break and owners sell the original. But spring bars solve that.

I would hang on to it until that dream project or gen dial comes along. The one benefit of the strap changing system is that there may well be future ti watches that you like better than what is out there now. And you never know when that gen dial comes along which makes that case the icing on top of a wonderful cake. :)

Congrats on the case. Given that it has a strap changing system you are obviously working with a J or later so it would have to be a 240 or perhaps the 296 Special Edition (but that is on a bracelet). I thought the 89 was discontinued with the G series and so it wouldn't have that particular system - but I could be wrong on that and someone can correct me. On the manual side I know they still make the 177 and 176 but I don't know if they updated the strap changing system. I wouldn't normally bring up the hand winds as they require milling the case but crystals with proper magnification can be hard to come by and I would probably go that way without an automatic crystal. These cases do occasionally come up in the second-hand market as the strap system tends to break and owners sell the original. But spring bars solve that.

I would hang on to it until that dream project or gen dial comes along. The one benefit of the strap changing system is that there may well be future ti watches that you like better than what is out there now. And you never know when that gen dial comes along which makes that case the icing on top of a wonderful cake. :)

Great points K-. I think I'm going to stick to Autos as I'd prefer not to enter any project that requires case modification. And I'm in no rush to build this one up.

In the end I'm more concerned with building a PAM with the best parts. I am a sucker for a GMT so I am definitely leaning towards that.