When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Want a PVD PAM

Genebe

I made the decision to build my first watch, and I think I want a black one.

Anyone know a good source for a really nice PVD case, back, crown, etc.? If I can't find anything already finished, what could I start with to send out for the coating? Also, I saw a really nice movement that had PVD components; was that something that is available or a custom job?

What works & doesn't when building something like this? Any issues with mixing & matching components from different suppliers? From my experience with other hobbies, I know that custom building anything isn't as easy as it looks!

Thanks & I appreciate any tips or recommendations!

I suggest you pick a specific model or Fantasy based on a specific modeland then folks can be more helpful. :)

I really like the PAM 4 & 26, but I thought a nice look would be to have a face with the cut-outs (what is that called... sandwich dial?). Not sure that's possible, but I like the look.

I'd also like a PVD see-thru caseback. (I saw one on here a while back & it looked great!) The movement on that watch had the matching black plates, which was the first I've seen.

Oh, and while I'm mentioning movements, what is the difference between the Swiss Unitas 6497 and the Asian 6497? (Yes, I read The Zigmeister's review, but is it worth the difference? Is the quality on the Swiss that much more noticeable?)

I also noticed that some of the PVD watches out there don't have a black pin in the crown release lever. Is a more correct & matching version available anywhere?

And what about a PVD version of the ss bracelet? Ever seen one?

Your source for finished PVD cases would be Davidsen. You could also take any PAM case (and buckle, crown etc) and have it PVD'd by one of the members offering this service (like Rolli). If you want a nice PVD crown, I would try to get a T (he's also a member) crown. The PVD movements you refered to - there where PVD'd Seagulls (Asia 6497) on German Ebay for some 90€.

Dials you could get from (again) Davidsen, who also sells hands and buckles. You could also try to get a FGD Dial (expensive, but very nice and accurate).

If you're going to build, you can go the same route that i'm going.

Andrew case w/ gen sapphire, hands, caseback, FDG dial, getting ready to send off to Avitt for his famous DLC coating as soon as my pre-a CG arrives.

or if you want one already put together, go the DSN route. he does such great work with EVERYTHING!!

If you're going to build, you can go the same route that i'm going.

Andrew case w/ gen sapphire, hands, caseback, FDG dial, getting ready to send off to Avitt for his famous DLC coating as soon as my pre-a CG arrives.

or if you want one already put together, go the DSN route. he does such great work with EVERYTHING!!

I've contacted Davidson. Just waiting for a reply.

I'll also check out some of the other sources everyone mentioned. Thanks!