When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Serviced Asia 7750 vs Swiss 7753

oirish

I know the swiss ETA is reputed to be a better movement. My issue is; why service the Asia 7750 (28899bhp) and pay $200 when you can buy the ETA for the cost of the 7750 plus the service cost? You would then have a nice swiss movt.

Also which would last longer?

Well, as has been posted by our resident movement experts, a serviced Asian 7750 should provide the same quality of service as a serviced ETA 7750.

The choice usually comes down to how cheap you can get the ETA 7750. Today, they are running north of $500 which makes servicing the Asian one a more economical option IMO....

A 7753 is a rare item to find these days and if you do find one, you are likely in the neighborhood of $1K in a donor watch....

I see. Then it does makes sense to prolong the life of the A7750 then.

Sorry, I didnt see the answer elsewhere. I was really wondering what the life expectancy be of the serviced A7750? I'd like to ge a good few years wear out of my rep. Ive seen answers stating between 2 and 3 years. Is this correct?

I see. Then it does makes sense to prolong the life of the A7750 then.

Sorry, I didnt see the answer elsewhere. I was really wondering what the life expectancy be of the serviced A7750? I'd like to ge a good few years wear out of my rep. Ive seen answers stating between 2 and 3 years. Is this correct?

It's economics. If you want your watch to last many years...service the A7750. If you see it as disposable...it MAY die in 2 years unserviced...or it may still run after 2 years serviced. The Zigmeister's recommendation is to service it within a year as most are dry and dirty which causes metal on metal wear...meaning replacement of parts is necessary and parts on an A7750 are hard to find (some ETA parts may fit...sometimes not).

Many have had A7750's unserviced run for years without problems. Many have had gens unserviced for decades running fine without problems...you just increase the chances of an expensive repair being required with the time comes.

A Swiss 7750 for the most part needs servicing within 5 years if it's new and bubble wrapped. Swiss movements found in reps are probably either used or old and surplused and have dry movements meaning they still should be serviced within a year or so. Servicing the Swiss costs the same as the Asian as the movement is essentially the same mechanically by design (not necessarily by part compatibility).

Properly serviced (first time within 1 year, and every 5 years afterwards) will mean you won't need to replace parts likely, and the watch could last a lifetime (gen or Swiss).

If you just want to try out a watch and see if you like it or for a current "trend"...buy it...don't service it...wear it down...and buy the next thing that tickles your fancy whenever it dies.

Obviously the 7753 would last longer (higher quality and its more expensive). Now Im wondering if the serviced A7750 would give the same wear as the more expensive ETA, which is more expensive, why would anyone bother with the expensive one?

I'm not trying to put anyone on the spot or ask awkward questions. As Im new to the rep scene I believe its a valid query.

Is it a matter of personal choice, the 'must have' movement takes hold and A7750 seems to be second best?

Obviously the 7753 would last longer (higher quality and its more expensive). Now Im wondering if the serviced A7750 would give the same wear as the more expensive ETA, which is more expensive, why would anyone bother with the expensive one?

I'm not trying to put anyone on the spot or ask awkward questions. As Im new to the rep scene I believe its a valid query.

Is it a matter of personal choice, the 'must have' movement takes hold and A7750 seems to be second best?

I think I answered your questions above. Look in my Noob Guide for links by The Zigmeister on reviews of this movement if you want more details.

Here's a cost breakdown to help you (USD):

A7750 Replacement Movement - $150

Swiss Valjoux 7750 - $500

Swiss/Asian 7750 Servicing - $200

Parts - Available for Swiss...hard to get the common ones for Asian

You don't have to service a rep with an A7750 for about 1 year...so you have a year to save up $200 for the servicing. If you want to go Swiss...you have to have the addition $350 right away...and usually more like $400-$500 if you buy it from some of the rep dealers as an upgrade...and you should STILL likely have to service the dry and dirty SWISS 7750 they stick in within 2 years.

So...you'll have to service either movement within 2 years anyways...so if the maintenance cost is essentially the same ($200 within 1-2 years...then every 5 years after for both Swiss and Asian)...you have to figure out whether or not you want to spend $400 more for the Swiss movement...or use that money to buy another rep.

Yes. All is clear now. Typo on my part regarding 7753... well spotted.

I'll look through those guides in more detail Toad. Its good to hear that the movts can last up to and beyond 5 years with a service. I'll be a A7750 service fiend for a while. Maybe later when my knowledge improves I'll upgrade to the swiss.

Thanks guys.

With the 7750 movements I don't bother having them serviced. If it fails me, then Il just replace the movement for less that what it costs for the price of a service. However, this only works if it fails once, if it fails twice in a 5 years period then it's cheaper to have it serviced. If you are going to keep the watch for longer than 5 years and you really like it, then have it serviced. Once it's serviced it will run very reliably as a Swiss movement would. However, if it isn't one you envisage growing attached to then I wouldn't bother.

A 7753 is a rare item to find these days and if you do find one, you are likely in the neighborhood of $1K in a donor watch....

you mean swiss ETA7753

Asian 7753's are even rarer, they don't exist :) They're moddified 7750 movements to make them the tri-compax layout.

Well, as has been posted by our resident movement experts, a serviced Asian 7750 should provide the same quality of service as a serviced ETA 7750.

The choice usually comes down to how cheap you can get the ETA 7750. Today, they are running north of $500 which makes servicing the Asian one a more economical option IMO....

Holy Crap.... USD 1K for a 7753 powered watch... that's blardy steep.

I'll look through those guides in more detail Toad. Its good to hear that the movts can last up to and beyond 5 years with a service. I'll be a A7750 service fiend for a while. Maybe later when my knowledge improves I'll upgrade to the swiss.

Properly serviced...an A7750 powered watch SHOULD last a lifetime really...that means servicing every 5 or so years...the same as a gen. If you need replacement parts...that's where it gets tricky.

With the 7750 movements I don't bother having them serviced. If it fails me, then Il just replace the movement for less that what it costs for the price of a service. However, this only works if it fails once, if it fails twice in a 5 years period then it's cheaper to have it serviced.

I do this with the watches I like but don't wear as often. A new movement costs between $120-150...and the movement swap costs $75-120 or so. If you can do the swap yourself...then it's not a huge deal...and can be a good, cost effective route to keeping a watch alive.

Some reps as we know, stop getting made, and availability becomes scarce. For the reps I really like...I get them serviced as I want them to be reliably around...the others...I'm willing to take my chance and will let the movement run to the ground. A serviced movement remember, does feel better...without that loud rotor.