When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

All right eagled eyed Rollie experts, what do you think? Part 1

RWG Technical

Ok, I am getting educated on these so called GMT movements...

All I had for reference is the rolex movement technical data sheets, so I figured a 1575 should...well be stamped with "1575"...duh...

As for the serial number, it's 56 Million, so that should clear up some things.

I'll post more pics tomorrow when I have time, the coronet is nothing like those shown here, it's really quite strange looking.

More to come when I have time.

Thanks again for the feedback, very much appreciated.

RG

And not to mention all those important features on a Navitimer. No 747 pilot can land his plane safely without constantly checking things from his bezel slide rule. And we all use the tachymeter on our chronographs of course... very important feature, although checking the tachymeter and simultaneously driving a car 300 km/h is pretty challenging. Wonder if Raikkonen, Schumacher and Hamilton all wear their Rolex Daytonas during the F1 races...

:lol:

All these are pretentious features and common sense doesn't have anything to do with our watch obsession. But then again world can't be that serious. It's nice to be a kid forever and enjoy our nice, mindless toys.

Yup. And I still want a gen Sea Dweller. Even if I have to dive down to the bottom of the deep end to justify it. -_-

The dial in question is a "Mark I" initial release circa 1970-1972 .. there is a name for the lizard (feet) coronet that escapes me at the moment.. the second hand (if original) should be straight.. unless it had been to the service center at a later date.. also the bezel (if replaced) would be thinner font.. the thicker font would be the original part.

below the pic of the "Mark I" is verification of this model as it was being offered for purchase. (don't even want to think about the listing)

This piece also came from Canada .. as documented by the Service Center comments.

1655completeny7.jpg

Vintage used Rolex Explorer 2 1655, Freccione circa 1970-72

This vintage Rolex Explorer 2, model 1655, is perhaps one of the most sought after watches amongst Rolex collectors at this time. This is the famed orange hand Explorer Freccione wrist watch.

The serial number in the 3 million range dates the watch to 1970 and is considered a mark 1 model. This watch still has the highly sought after straight seconds hand and its original bezel instead of the newer replacement. This watch also has the TSwissT markings on the dial.

The inside of the caseback shows a date code of 1972 which is within the scope of production and also shows the service history of the watch, it appears to have been serviced at Rolex in 1977, 1987 and 1997, prior to the last factory autorized service in 2006.

The dial is still the original model with no modification and the original hand set is still fitted. Note a small crack in the luminous of the 24 hour orange hand which I have left intact as there as it is not loose. You can see from the sevice done at Rolex in 1997, the dial and hands change was refused.

The watch was just serviced by a Rolex authorized repair center and comes with a 1 year Factory warranty. I specifically asked that the case not be polished and the lugs are still very thick and have maintained the original shape. Added to this, I was able to obtain a copy of the last Rolex service performed by Rolex Canada in 1997. Two earlier appraisals from 1997 and 2006 are also included. There is no doubt about the authenticity of this piece, unlike many in the market today.

There are no boxes or papers with this watch. This vintage Explorer is supplied on its original 20 mm folded Oyster bracelet reference 7836.

A member here posted his franken awhile back with the genuine dial and movement.. :throb: it also had the (lizard feet) strange looking coronet..

I highlighted in red the comment about the dial and hands changed being "refused" .. interesting to take note of the desire to keep the original parts intact.. (lucky for the owner, if that was the intent by Rolex)

And not to mention all those important features on a Navitimer. No 747 pilot can land his plane safely without constantly checking things from his bezel slide rule. And we all use the tachymeter on our chronographs of course... very important feature, although checking the tachymeter and simultaneously driving a car 300 km/h is pretty challenging. Wonder if Raikkonen, Schumacher and Hamilton all wear their Rolex Daytonas during the F1 races...

All these are pretentious features and common sense doesn't have anything to do with our watch obsession. But then again world can't be that serious. It's nice to be a kid forever and enjoy our nice, mindless toys.

Mmmm...toys. Hey...I gave a few practical examples and instruction on using the tach in my Slide Rule guide linked in my signature. Chicks dig it. B)

I don't think TeeJay needs these watches though...with his survival vest and a litter of soccer mom's...I think he's got all he needs to get him through some cold nights in space.

The 1570 (1575 adds the date feature, but the bridge is still signed '1570') is correct, but I do not believe the second hand is correct. At least, it is not correct for a 1st or 2nd gen version dial, as this is....

Here is a 1st gen 1655 (note the lack of luminous dot on the second hand & the froggish coronet)

Well I feel proud. I actually beat Freddy to a vintage Rolex minutiae question!! :D:D Actually...big props to RWG for fuelling the passion to research and honing an eye for detail!!

:clap2::clap2:

I have lots more examples of pics in my gen 1655 guide linked in my signature for those who are interested.

I am definately not a "Rolex Expert" by any stretch of the imagination.. but a lot of the references and history I am coming across of early "Mach I" models show the 1570 movement

As was this tech data taken from a 1655 forum.. no pics were available as the seller just posted a feeler on the forum.

Notice the servicing charge... yikes !!! :huh:

I guess what they say is true.. "if you have to ask .. you can't afford it"

Explorer 11 circa 1972

Model no: 16550-78360-B10

Serial no: 3299873

Cal/Mov.No 1570

Dial description: BK-10 t/n

Serviced: 29 8 05

Service cost RM 1450.00

Mint

edit add: Remembering my research into the 1655 .. it was meant for "Cave Explorers" and the orange hand was so they could tell ~ AM to PM hours (being deep underground).. so my thinking is that the 1655 was not meant initially to be used as "World Time" but for the specific purpose of simply night and day ..

just a thought anyway :)

edit add: Remembering my research into the 1655 .. it was meant for "Cave Explorers" and the orange hand was so they could tell ~ AM to PM hours (being deep underground).. so my thinking is that the 1655 was not meant initially to be used as "World Time" but for the specific purpose of simply night and day ..

just a thought anyway :)

Afaik that was exactly the idea.

Afaik that was exactly the idea.

also, rolex claims the 1655 to be in part a comerorative watch for Sir Hillary's accent to Mt. Everest .. this has already been proven to be somewhat more of a marketing gimick than factual as the 1655 was introduced before the Conquest of Mt. Everest and not after.

My point is, did Rolex sieze on the opportunity to cash in on the 1655 through the "Ultimate" Explorer of the Time .. and thereby add the 1575 movement to the mix which thus added the GMT features to the 1655 ?? Because it seems that all the initially released 1655's had the 1570 as it's movement (?)

btw ... this for me is where this hobby becomes so fullfilling .. the puzzle solving .. and reseach into the History of the famous events and items that were excluded (somewhat ) from the history books.. that leads us to fit the pieces together ourselves.. B)

The dial I'm pretty sure is genuine -I have yet to see a redial or aftermarket with the frogs foot coronet.

As for having a bubble second hand vs. a straight hand it could certainly have been replaced during a service. If you look at Antiquorum many of the early dial examples have the bubble second hands on them as well. Of course it could be a cobble of parts as the GMT hand is SL and not tritium.

I read as well that 1575 movements all have 1570 stamping.

Either way, that's a nice watch!