When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dying Strap Stitching W/ Markers

sssurfer

Some pics about some straps I enjoyed modifying their stitching with a marker. It is an easy job and the result may worth.

This was my first attempt: a bleached strap on which I also tried a luminova-like dying on an originally white stitching:

94243-27645.jpg

94243-27646.jpg

For that strap I used the marker #1 from this pic:

94243-27647.jpg

It was a little too dark green, though, and I had to bleach the stitching only again in order to get the desired accent.

Besides, it did not prove really permanent. When I treated the strap with a leather cream in order to clean some sweat stains that had appeared, the greenish accent fade away -- besides of the strap becoming darker :angry:.

Then I found the markers #2 and 3, and I used #2 ("meadow green") to re-dye the stitching on that same strap. Here is the result:

94243-27648.jpg

...I know, I know: the strap nuance (even if not the stitching) was better in the 1st version... but I couldn't let those sweat stains stay there... :(

Ok, let's go on. Here is a second strap where I tried the meadow green Promarker again:

94243-27649.jpg

94243-27650.jpg

94243-27651.jpg

94243-27652.jpg

But I think I got even better results with #3, "gold". I used it to dye the white stitching on the 147 I got from Josh (I hope Josh will not get annoyed if I use one of his pics here to show the difference between before and after -- in case lmk, Josh, and I'll remove it):

BEFORE:

94243-27653.jpg

AFTER:

94243-27654.jpg

94243-27655.jpg

94243-27656.jpg

94243-27657.jpg

94243-27658.jpg

Ok, that's all now. Just two last words:

Those markers are declared as permanent, but I don't know at what extent they actually are.

But, even if they fade away, redoing the dying is an easy 10-mins job and I would be disposed towards doing it again even once a month in order to get those effects.

On all the stitching I dyed, the thread absorbed the ink like a sponge. It was enough to gently touch the thread with the marker's tip on one or two points for each small segment to get the segment coloured.

Thanks all for your attention,

sss

P.S.: apologies for my hair. I did not think to shave it before taking pics. :lol:

This is a great post. I have used shoe polish to slightly alter the color on some bands and this effected the stiching thread color too. Now I have a way to go back and tune up the color of the stiching thread.

Thanks,

Usil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
I can tell you what it would look like....black!

Letraset markers are wonderful but even they won't turn black to orange :bangin:

I go to the craft supply store and get the fabric permanant marker.... i had a brown gen alligator but with white stiching.. took away from the hide... i put down a black base coat and like sssurfer say's it soaks it right up ... next day i applyed the dark brown marker to it and came out with a nice deep brown to match the alligator hide.... like the gen pam gator... browns have black in them it just depends to what degree