When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT Master from Josh; CHS or IHS?

RickHiC

I'm about to pull the trigger on this watch from Josh, but I want to make sure I get the incorrect hand stack for reliability (unless the CHS has improved?).

I emailed him, and this is the link he provided.

here

It's the new anniversary edition with independently adjustable GMT hand. I'm totally hooked on this model, but is this one the safe movement or the time-bomb one? I want a watch that will last, and the hand stack matters little to me. I search and searched, and I can't tell which style Josh's current offerings are.

It's also down to the wire for orders to make it to conus by Valentine's day. Any suggestions for a simple lady watch? The wife likes small, simple, and silver. Preferably black leather or rubber strap. The Chanel J12 makes her want to throw up. I got her a tank francaise for Christmas and she was over the moon, but now she wants something non-metal bracelet, semi-formal to sporty. She likes some of the Diors and Chopards, but I'm like to find something with a semblance of accuracy. Anybody have any suggestions? Sorry to get OT.

Excepting the updated bezel insert (I prefer the original insert), it looks like the IHS version that has been around since late last summer (it appeared a few weeks after the original CHS version appeared). A very accurate rep, indeed, but by no means would I take terms like 'Full ceramic' or 'Exact Replication' or 'waterproof' literally. This is 1 of the few reps that get just about everything (except the handstack & GMT hand function) correct, but by no means not exact.

Excepting the updated bezel insert (I prefer the original insert), it looks like the IHS version that has been around since late last summer (it appeared a few weeks after the original CHS version appeared). A very accurate rep, indeed, but by no means would I take terms like 'Full ceramic' or 'Exact Replication' or 'waterproof' literally. This is 1 of the few reps that get just about everything (except the handstack & GMT hand function) correct, but by no means not exact.

I'd like to expand the topic not only to cover Josh - but all suppliers of both CHS and WHS. I too am sitting with my finger on the "buy it now" button but then I read the reviews..

My question is whether to stay away from the CHS and choose the WHS instead? (I don't care that much about having to set the GMT hand manually or if it doesn't work as it shoud) I'm interested in getting this watch and that it works (not stops due to one of the hands getting stuck).

Second question is whether the CHS version will work even if the GMT hand should malfunction - or will the GMT hand ruin the entire function of the watch?

I am not aware of anyone currently selling the CHS version & the results of the polls seem to suggest that both CHS & IHS versions have problems (use the Search to locate the GMTIIC polls). Your chances are definitely better with the IHS, but going that way does not necessarily guarantee reliability.

Generally, when the GMT hand malfunctions, the entire movement becomes unstable.

Pick the WHS/IHS version and never look back. It's got a reliable movement and there's no way in hell people are going to notice the handstack unless they're looking directly at it with a loupe or know just what to look for...and if they're that close/experienced they'll know it's a rep long before they see the handstack...

Pick the WHS/IHS version and never look back. It's got a reliable movement and there's no way in hell people are going to notice the handstack unless they're looking directly at it with a loupe or know just what to look for...and if they're that close/experienced they'll know it's a rep long before they see the handstack...

Thanks for your advice - exactly what I was looking for. (I don't give a rat's as* if someone notices it - I will wear the watch for me - not for someone else) :)

I have to tell a different experience. I have a CHS GMT Master II "16710" coming from the noob factory (bought it from Jay), Swiss ETA modified 2836-2. I think this watch is the closest thing to a gen GMT Master II you can see on the forums. I had the hands and dial relumed by The Zigmeister. The GMT hand is 1:1, long and well painted as the original, arrow point (another critical part in many reps) 1:1. Bezel and insert substituted.

This watch was bought in 2005: since then I wear it almost every day, I adjust the GMT hand every time I travel in a country with a different hour (1-2 times/month). It keeps the time at +5 sec./day.

I trust in your friendship: I do not want to generate a sense on envy in all the people who have had bad experience with these toys. Maybe it will stop working today or tomorrow, I do not know. Simply I need to tell something different on this rep.

:rolleyes:

• 3 months later...