When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gaseous Tritium Light Source (GTLS) - Issues?

wiseman

Guys/girls,

Anybody know more about Gaseous Tritium Light Source (GTLS) as used in the Luminox watches?

http://www.luminoxshop.com/luteandmihio.html

A brief description here of GTLS: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;mode=threaded

"...Gaseous Tritium Light Sources (GTLS), also called Tritium Light Sources, are usually small glass ampoules [sic] filled with a bit of tritium gas and lined with a thin layer of phosphor that converts the radiation from the tritium into visible light; the glass ampoule is usually sealed in a small oblong capsule-shaped block of clear polycarbonate plastic for protection and to afford toughness and durability. These little light sources are usually rather small, and provide a source of constant non-stop light for periods ranging from 15 years to 30 years (the ultimate limit to effective light-emitting lifetime is limited by the half-life of tritium gas, which is on the order of 12.4 years). And, of course, no batteries are needed, since the tritium gas itself provides the power for the light. These little light-emitting plastic-encased capsules are widely used in perpetual exit signs, in sporting products and for camping, etcetera., and are often sold in colors such as red, blue, pink and green..."

So are there any health-issues of this radiation when used in a watch?

(I know that I have worn watches when sleeping and I usually have my hands quite near my head when sleeping.)

I had a Yellow dial Luminox a few years ago...it had great LUME...no third eye yet.

Wiseman, did you get your Eurotimez?

Reps in the box:

Modded Euromariner TT MBW/Noob Gen ETA

MBK 1680 Gen ETA

Trusty 1665 Clone ETA

Canal street TT ST6D (my first rep:)

@Wiseman:

There are no issues. My daily tool/yardwork/beater watch for the last 4 years was a 48mm Luminox Pro-Diver, now a discontinued model. My Son came home for Christmas, liked it so much I gave it to him. Replaced with the new Luminox 47mm Field Chrono-Alarm model 1888 as a Christmas present to myself. I had originally researched extensively the tritium tubes, there is no radiation past the phosphor coating inside the borosilicate glass of the tubes, none whatsoever, there is no radiation health hazards. The glow is from the radiation hitting the phosphor coating. Here's a pretty good informational link explanation by United Nuclear who sells them but are currently sold out. They don't sell the small kind for watch dials though, don't know where or if you could source those. United Nuclear

Fully charged Superluminova is much brighter for the 1st half hour but then will fade to about where a tritium gas tube is in brightness, that will give you an idea of what to expect. The advantage of tritium over Superluminova paint is it never fades from that brightness. Superluminova will be completely gone or very faint after 4 hours. If you go into a store to see the brightness of tritium tubes you'll be disappointed in a bright showroom, until your eyes adjust to viewing in a room of total darkness, about 5 minutes is when you'll appreciate what they are. But even in moonlit evenings or driving in your car at night you will notice it, even though there is peripheral light. The brightness will never fade and although I like to look at it in bed at night, my wife finds that annoying because it seems so bright, I must do as the boss says and put it on the nightstand. :p

I had a Yellow dial Luminox a few years ago...it had great LUME...no third eye yet.

Wiseman, did you get your Eurotimez?

Reps in the box:

Modded Euromariner TT MBW/Noob Gen ETA

MBK 1680 Gen ETA

Trusty 1665 Clone ETA

Thanks for asking, but no watch yet in my mail...I hope the B&R will come this week though.

Thanks for asking, but no watch yet in my mail...I hope the B&R will come this week though.

Hang in there. Chris made it worth my extra wait by offering me a small credit. He will make sure you are happy in the end. My TT from Eurotimez has taught me what a good rep should look like.

I wish I would have kept my Luminox. I used to work for a Knife dealer and I got it for cost, then I sold it. It would light up really bright with awesome LUME.

Reps in the box:

Modded Euromariner TT MBK/Noob Gen ETA

MBW 1680 Gen ETA

Trusty 1665 Clone ETA