When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Davidsen Stuff? I Am Confused? Why?

chad

I am just curious why anyone would buy these. No offense to anyone but the fonts are amazingly off on the dials?

and if so...why not fix the fonts if he is worried about other details?

are they trying to look like the gens or just something different?

Chad

I forgot to ask?

Are there gens with those fonts? if so what models?

I am just curious why anyone would buy these. No offense to anyone but the fonts are amazingly off on the dials?

and if so...why not fix the fonts if he is worried about other details?

are they trying to look like the gens or just something different?

Chad

Why?

Because...somebody...might...like it? That scenario did not occur to you?

His pvd cases are excellent, especially if polished afterwards (according to pictures).

And regarding the fonts: They are perhaps way off if compared side by side with a gen, or to someone that really knows panerais - perhaps someone like you . But are any of those scenarios likely to happen? And if they are, would you actually be 'ashamed' of wearing a rep? After all, you chose it.

I like improvements as well, but you always have the option of not buying. It is not really forced upon you. I imagine that those who did buy his works are satisfied - with at least some things if not everything.

Really, you need to be more specific.

They should be bolder. They are thin.

I believe that everything we say it will be very constructive (especially for David who does his own production) and he will try to make it better...

So bring on new dials with bolder fonts please :group:

@Chad... you have stirred something up, here, if only because DavidSen has a great reputation for listening to the WISs - then taking action and fixing the problems.

So please post the comparison pics.

I wouldn't know a correct font if it bought me a beer. But I do have a DavidSen 195. One of the reasons that I love it is for the astonishing quality of the dial print.

I am sure that David would appreciate any help or references that you can offer, that might improve his product.

Happy timekeeping!

Clive

Okay... first, let me say that I love davidsen's stuff! He is a true asset to the community, and his products are very unique, and very custom. As mentioned- He produces these items on his own using his resources. Good stuff in my book...

Anyways... The font issue that is mentioned is one that I noticed as well- Here is an example of not only the printed font of a Pre-V and Pre-A dial, but also some images of the markers/indicies as well...

1st, here is a comparison shot of the Pre-V style font vs. the Richemont style font post acquisition:

94592-27593.jpg

Note that there is a bit of a serif on the old Pre-V style...

The Pre-V and Pre-A's have the indicies a little bit more squared on the edges..

94592-27594.jpg

94592-27595.jpg

94592-27596.jpg

All pics above are 'borrowed' from another site.

There are some variations with the way the lume is filled in on the markers with regards to Pre-A vs. Pre-V. Pre-A is filled in more up to the edges; Pre-V is filled in less with more of the edge exposed.

Anyhow... No knock on david's items... I still think they're great, and such a service is not commonly found. Especially considering that he is always taking the forum's advice to improve his products.

:)

Davidsens stuff is not always accurate sure - but where else can you go and order up a new dial etc just like that for 40 bucks. Part of the fun with his stuff is that it provides a starting block for custom projects and as such is invaluable. My hat is always off to him as he has more than proved himself a worthy asset to the community.

I see about the different fonts..Thanks for the info.

I guess my question is if his attention to detail is great and he does have some amazing stuff why are the fonts not perfect...

that kind of thing is KEY....who cares about crowns and lumes when it is a fake from 2 feet away with incorrect fonts......

Davidsens stuff is not always accurate sure - but where else can you go and order up a new dial etc just like that for 40 bucks. Part of the fun with his stuff is that it provides a starting block for custom projects and as such is invaluable. My hat is always off to him as he has more than proved himself a worthy asset to the community.

I understand where Chad is coming from. While David offers great pvd cases, capped hand, and other goodies, I don't understand why anyone would buy an aftermarket dial that doesn't compare with the dials of our "out of the box" reps.

I guess I use the same rationale when I see new improved movements for display back Pams. If all the swiss hand wind movements essentially work the same and people are just buying a better looking "decorated" movement, it is not money well spent in my opinion. If someone is inspecting your watch and know what a Panerai movement is supposed to look like, I don't care how good it looks, it won't even come close to the finish and details of the real thing.

Buy a watch that doesn't have a display back (005, 001, 000) and you won't have to worry about a fancy looking movement.