When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cracked ceramic bezel on a gen GMT IIc

By-Tor

For those who have not been following the original TZ thread, a reliable member added this today -

"Just so we're 100% clear, I just called and spoke with the Service Dept. at the Dallas RSC. The retail replacement cost for a ceramic bezel insert on a 116713 (2-Tone Rolex GMT Master II) is $240.00 USD.

On Topic:

I'd be very interested to see pics of the shattered bezel. Not because I don't believe it happened, but simply out of morbid curiosity to see a cross section of the ceramic. I'm not sure what ceramic Rolex are using for the bezels, but I would suggest that they use Zirconia, as is used in jewelry (including rings, which have to withstand a lot of impact without shattering) as the metallic compound strengthens the crystalline structure.

I suspect, had the watch taken the impact 'face on', then the insert would not have shattered, but, taking an impact edge on, and the resulting shockwaves and interactions with bezel assembly/crystal etc, I can certainly believe that one would shatter under the right circumstances... Maybe I should forget my idea of using a rep of the GMT II c for my project, and just stick to an all black GMT insert :o I love how the ceramic insert looks, but, I don't want to have to worry about the insert shattering... Scratches and scuffs on an insert, I can cope with... That adds character... One shattering and coming out completely... Well, lets just say that my best man wore a watch which was clearly sans bezel to my wedding, and 'having character' was not how I would have described its condition :p