When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noobmariner vs Nooby Submariner (both tt88)

spider87

Ok, so I was looking on I think it's Andrew's site and found the Rolex Submariner 'Newbie' version ($98) as compared to the Submariner Upgraded ($118) I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the difference is?

Also, I've read a lot about this 21J movement and am worried. Is it really that bad? What happens with it it breaks right away? I'm concerned about this fact but being a newb and also still working part time am low on funds and looking for the best deal possible.. What say you RWG?

Thanks,

Alex

(I don't know if we're not supposed to post links here or what but I never see them so I'm avoiding posting them... The $118 one in question is ROLSUB0008((Yes I know it's green but that's just the one I'd pick if choosing between it and the $98 and finding out it has some major improvement)) and the $98 one is ROLBEG002A on andrews site. If this doesn't help PM me for links or let me know if it's ok to post them? lol

Welcome aboard. The first rep purchase can be a bit nerve wracking.

Many members have great success with the A21j movements...some in fact have better success with them than the ETA movements. That being said, most would consider only ETA based watches (even ETA copies) if you want better reliability or want a watch that can be maintained.

The beauty of the A21j based watches is that the movements can be had for $10 CDN (or $12-15 USD for the rest of the world + shipping)...so you don't repair them...you rip and replace when they fail. The issue is that you need to save the datewheel or datewheel overlay and the movement dial spacer if you do a swap.

It takes a lot of movement replacements (if you do them yourself) before you make up the $130 difference to upgrade to the ETA based watches.

I'm not sure about the Sub Upgraded, but I did a comparison of things to look for in the various versions of the Subs in the Sub Guide linked in my signature.

Thanks toad. I've been looking around and it would seem it goes like this: Andrew and Josh's Noobmariners are sub par while TTK's was good and Eurotimez and BK have access to the same one TTK has? Right? lol

I've just been trying to find something affordable ATM haha and I don't mind getting the movement replaced once in a while I guess if it's that easy (relatively) I figure I'll eventually figure out how to do it on my own for now my jeweler will do it (He's already worked on my current watch a few times without whining about it being a rep haha)

That being said you are so right about the first one being nerve wracking haha that's an understatement. With limited money supply and being my first purchase I'm trying to get the best deal but also hearing all this about how with josh and andrew the people who have ordered before are getting really nice watches while the first time buyers are getting crap watches scares me too haha. I, of course, consider this to be my first purchase since this is a different platform than my original (Canal Street haha).

I doubt bklm sold the Asian version of the "Noob". I recall all his watches were equipped with ETA.

I suggest you hang around for a while. You might find a good deal on ETA Noobmariner in the member sales section. Especially now that WM9 v2 has completely "robbed the bank". Lots of members are probably willing to part with their "outdated" Sub reps.

You can also post to "Wanted to buy" section. I'm sure you'll score... Noobmariner is among the most popular reps out there.

Because now I'm considering Eurotimez RN-SUB-001 and can't seem to find anything on it. I'm rereading (I read it yesterday actually) your comparison for reference, toad.

I doubt bklm sold the Asian version of the "Noob". I recall all his watches were equipped with ETA.

I suggest you hang around for a while. You might find a good deal on ETA Noobmariner in the member sales section. Especially now that WM9 v2 has completely "robbed the bank". Lots of members are probably willing to part with their "outdated" Sub reps.

You can also post to "Wanted to buy" section. I'm sure you'll score... Noobmariner is among the most popular reps out there.

Isn't the "Wanted to buy" section Supporters only? Now I'm planning on doing that soon (probably actually around the same time I buy the watch or of course before if we're talking about the same section haha). I'm not looking to buy the watch immediately just trying to find the best one for the money. I've got to wait a few weeks until the funds balance themselves out haha.

Thanks for the tip BT.

I'm also considering Eurotimez RN-SUB-001 watch it seems to be the same and I heard ET had access to the TTK one. As for BK he said he can get either ETA or 21j just (obviously) ones cheaper than the other.