When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Narrowing down choice for Next Rep

djdante

Hey all,

First of all I'd like to say WOW! This forum truly is not only informative, but from the last 48 hours of hardcore reading I have done here, it seems as though the community support is pretty amazing. It's a refreshing thing to see on the intarweb.

My favourite watch brand in the world is a Breitling. I had a Breitling navitimer rep that I purchased for about $100 a few years ago, and I loved wearing it until the dial somehow became unstuck. ( I suspect moisture from being left in the bathroom overnight was the culprit). I had written it off, but figure I might try fixing it in the future and if I break it due to my lack of watch knowlege and my poor dexterity then so be it. But that issue is for another thread at another time.

Now to the meat of the post. I am really serious about purchasing a new Breitling Rep. I have done a decent amount of research on RWG, and evidently have a fair bit more to go before I actually make a purchase, but I was helping some of you could help me along the way.

There are two Breitling models I am interested in. 1) Superocean Steelfish with swiss eta and 2) Chronomat Evolution both of them with leather band *drools*

Given that I am willing to pay around $300 with an upper limit of $400, there are a couple of things I would like to think that I could expect from a watch.

1) Quality construction, won't easily fall apart, feels and looks solid.

2) Will keep decent time, and won't die after 6 months. At least 3 years would be nice.

Of course I want it to be an accurate replica, but heck, who doesn't?

So my first question is, Can I expect such things in a Breitling rep for that price range?

My second question is that from what I have seen and read, the Superocean Steelfish can be easily purchased with Swiss ETA, has reliable water resistance (I don't plan to swim, but want to know accidents with watch in water won't hurt it). It also sounds as though it is a really accurate representation of the original, with fantastic build quality. The Chronomat Evolution on the other hand is my favourite looking watch, definitely prefer it over the Superocean, but reliability, quality, and accurate replication is a higher concern to me. Can the Chronomat Evo be purchased within my price rage with Swiss ETA? I havn't been able to find one yet. Am I correct in thinking that given my criteria, the Superocean is still the better option?

Third question is.. I live in Australia, and I understand that I may be taking a risk given customs rules on replicas in this country. Does anyone have any experience importing to Australia? I could also have the watch sent to friends in the Philippines, and pick it up from them when I am there since I fly there regularly for work.

Thanks again everyone for creating such an interesting forum!

B)

Hey all,

First of all I'd like to say WOW! This forum truly is not only informative, but from the last 48 hours of hardcore reading I have done here, it seems as though the community support is pretty amazing. It's a refreshing thing to see on the intarweb.

My favourite watch brand in the world is a Breitling. I had a Breitling navitimer rep that I purchased for about $100 a few years ago, and I loved wearing it until the dial somehow became unstuck. ( I suspect moisture from being left in the bathroom overnight was the culprit). I had written it off, but figure I might try fixing it in the future and if I break it due to my lack of watch knowlege and my poor dexterity then so be it. But that issue is for another thread at another time.

Now to the meat of the post. I am really serious about purchasing a new Breitling Rep. I have done a decent amount of research on RWG, and evidently have a fair bit more to go before I actually make a purchase, but I was helping some of you could help me along the way.

There are two Breitling models I am interested in. 1) Superocean Steelfish with swiss eta and 2) Chronomat Evolution both of them with leather band *drools*

Given that I am willing to pay around $300 with an upper limit of $400, there are a couple of things I would like to think that I could expect from a watch.

1) Quality construction, won't easily fall apart, feels and looks solid.

2) Will keep decent time, and won't die after 6 months. At least 3 years would be nice.

Of course I want it to be an accurate replica, but heck, who doesn't?

So my first question is, Can I expect such things in a Breitling rep for that price range?

My second question is that from what I have seen and read, the Superocean Steelfish can be easily purchased with Swiss ETA, has reliable water resistance (I don't plan to swim, but want to know accidents with watch in water won't hurt it). It also sounds as though it is a really accurate representation of the original, with fantastic build quality. The Chronomat Evolution on the other hand is my favourite looking watch, definitely prefer it over the Superocean, but reliability, quality, and accurate replication is a higher concern to me. Can the Chronomat Evo be purchased within my price rage with Swiss ETA? I havn't been able to find one yet. Am I correct in thinking that given my criteria, the Superocean is still the better option?

Third question is.. I live in Australia, and I understand that I may be taking a risk given customs rules on replicas in this country. Does anyone have any experience importing to Australia? I could also have the watch sent to friends in the Philippines, and pick it up from them when I am there since I fly there regularly for work.

Thanks again everyone for creating such an interesting forum!

BCE Swiss ETA = no, not for your price range. The movement alone costs $400 or so.

What you need to realize is that 1 is a chronograph and the other is not.

Chrono ETA costs alot more that is why you can't get an ETA at your price range.

The chrono rep Asain movement works well and should give you a good 3 years of accurate time keeping.

Both are quality constructed.

Otherwise I think your expectations are well within range.

As long as you get the new datefont version the BCE is almost as accurate as the SFSO, both are great reps and extremely accurate.

Don't go showing an AD your new rep and you should be OK. Regardless of rep there will be flaws but both of these watches have few flaws.

I think you answered your own question in that you definitely prefer the BCE to the SFSO.

1st thing to do is go to a Breitling AD and try both on, whichever you like the most is the one you should buy.

Do not buy purely becuase of accuracy or you will have a great rep that you don't like.

I have done that too many times and have learned my lesson.

That said I would not trust the BCE or any chrono rep in the water, but you also said you like leather straps.

Leather is typically not good in water either so the SFSO is definitely better for swimming but only on steel or rubber.

BCE retails for double what the SFSO does, so if you are a starving student maybe the SFSO makes more sense.

Other members here I am sure prefer the SFSO over the BCE.

I prefer the BCE over SFSO, everyone taste is different, form your own opinion.

They are much different looks: the BCE is polished and dressy / the SFSO is brushed and sportier.

Shipping to Australia should be no problem. Research some more you will see numerous AU members here.

Best of luck,

M

BCE Swiss ETA = no, not for your price range. The movement alone costs $400 or so.

What you need to realize is that 1 is a chronograph and the other is not.

Chrono ETA costs alot more that is why you can't get an ETA at your price range.

The chrono rep Asain movement works well and should give you a good 3 years of accurate time keeping.

Both are quality constructed.

Otherwise I think your expectations are well within range.

As long as you get the new datefont version the BCE is almost as accurate as the SFSO, both are great reps and extremely accurate.

Don't go showing an AD your new rep and you should be OK. Regardless of rep there will be flaws but both of these watches have few flaws.

I think you answered your own question in that you definitely prefer the BCE to the SFSO.

1st thing to do is go to a Breitling AD and try both on, whichever you like the most is the one you should buy.

Do not buy purely becuase of accuracy or you will have a great rep that you don't like.

I have done that too many times and have learned my lesson.

That said I would not trust the BCE or any chrono rep in the water, but you also said you like leather straps.

Leather is typically not good in water either so the SFSO is definitely better for swimming but only on steel or rubber.

BCE retails for double what the SFSO does, so if you are a starving student maybe the SFSO makes more sense.

Other members here I am sure prefer the SFSO over the BCE.

I prefer the BCE over SFSO, everyone taste is different, form your own opinion.

They are much different looks: the BCE is polished and dressy / the SFSO is brushed and sportier.

Shipping to Australia should be no problem. Research some more you will see numerous AU members here.

Best of luck,

M

Thanks for that feedback. I do want to go and try on the watches first to see how they feel/look on my wrist. It is always hard to tell from a well taken photograph, trying to transpose it onto your own arm.

Either watch would not look too out of place in my surroundings, but again I would like it to be a dressier watch on the whole. That does make sense that the Chrono movement would be more complicated and hence more expensive, I hadn't thought about that.

What am I really looking at as a difference between swiss and asian automatic? I would imagine swiss would last longer, and be better constructed? Or is that a mistake in judgement with asian replicated parts getting better all the time. What would be the difference that I would see/feel/experience? Does the movement look the same on both? Is there an appreciable weight difference? (I like the feel of a heavier watch).

I've just had a look in the store, and I have to say I much prefer the BCE. It looks much dressier, and is absolutely gorgeous on a brown leather band.

Although I have also done more reading on the A-7750 movement, and people are saying that they can break down in a few weeks if they arn't serviced when purchased. I would be really miffed to spend that much on a watch, only to have it not function properly. Am i just playing chicken little here? Are there any suppliers that service them before sale at a reasonable rate?

I've just had a look in the store, and I have to say I much prefer the BCE. It looks much dressier, and is absolutely gorgeous on a brown leather band.

Although I have also done more reading on the A-7750 movement, and people are saying that they can break down in a few weeks if they arn't serviced when purchased. I would be really miffed to spend that much on a watch, only to have it not function properly. Am i just playing chicken little here? Are there any suppliers that service them before sale at a reasonable rate?

I had mine serviced at a local watchmaker for

some good points being made.

if reliability and durability are your priority then forget the 7750, and basically about all Breitling watches.

and as you don' t seem to like the SFSO, after having tried it at the AD, don' t buy it just because of reliability or accuracy, as you will likely never like it anyway and you' ll end up selling it in a few months losing money and time in the process.

try looking for a Rolex (non Daytona) and you should be fine, you can never go wrong with those.

some good points being made.

if reliability and durability are your priority then forget the 7750, and basically about all Breitling watches.

and as you don' t seem to like the SFSO, after having tried it at the AD, don' t buy it just because of reliability or accuracy, as you will likely never like it anyway and you' ll end up selling it in a few months losing money and time in the process.

try looking for a Rolex (non Daytona) and you should be fine, you can never go wrong with those.

@ DjDante : Completely agree with ronny25's point of view as someone should not pick up a watch only because it is considered to be a GREAT rep...No no no this is indeed a bad thought and sooner or later you will regret that choise you made -_- Choose the watch you like either by visiting ADs or reading about several watch models in our forum! There are a lot of fellas here that know a whole lot about watches and it is a pleasure to consult their opinion! Knowledge is power......But on the other hand be extra cautious not to "watch the tree and lose the forest" as in my humble opinion you should spend equal time on reading about faults and malfunctions that were reported on the model that you chose! I happen to be a proud owner of a BCE graphite V2 which i bought from PT almost a year ago and the watch is magnificent (make a search and you will find a recent photo of my beauty) and it works flawlessly. That was just to contribute to your final decision-making.... :rolleyes: The final decision however, about which watch you will buy and from whom lies upon YOU not me or ronny25! It is in your hand also the preserving of the good working status and reliability of the watch...No matter if you have a Ferrari or an Autobianchi if you crash with 100mph on a wall the impact will be equally disastrous for both :shock:

@ ronny25: It is nowhere reported that Rolexes are more accurate and/or reliable than Breits given that both of them work based on A7750 movement...I've been studying this site for long enough to be able to reach that conclusion!

It is pretty clear from what you have written so far that you have a strong preference for a BCE and chronos in general. If you still feel that way and are nervous about the movement I might suggest you wait for one to come up in the trading section. Many have been previously serviced by folks. Alternatively you could put out a WTB for an Evo which has been serviced. Many folks have them and may want to sell it anyhow to get that new watch (or pay bills). You might even save a little money.

And by the way even ETA 7750's can have problems. Chrono's are more complex movements with multiple poits of contact (pushers :lol:). I have had to have many ETA's serviced. In fact all movements should normally be serviced every 3-5 years (rep or gen). And on Rolexes, other than the Daytona, most reps use a 2824, 2836 or occasional 2892.

Hi djdante,

Have you looked at the Skyland or the new Seawolf, again one's a chrono and one's not, but they are both very good reps.

I've had my Skyland for 6 months and the A7750 hasn't given me any problems at all up till now.

It was running way too fast when I got it (gaining 14 secs an hour) so I got it regulated at a local watchsmith. It now loses 5-10 seconds a day.

I don't really use the chrono's at all, but if you do go for any rep with a 7750 read The Zigmeisterzumba's user guide, if you haven't already!

Whichever one you decide on, enjoy it and let's see some pics!!

there some bad info in this thread

Just buy the rep bce already

It is a great rep even with the unserviced 7750 asian movement you have an 75% chance it will work fine for a couple of years at least

If you want more of a guarantee than go buy a gem watch

I repeat some inaccurate info in this thread

Cheers

M