When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ceramic experiences

TeeJay

Having read about the unfortunate who shattered the bezel insert of their GMTIIc, I was just wondering what experiences folks might have had with other ceramic applications on a watch, be it rep or gen, and regardless of brand involved :)

I feel I should add some input here. I own(ed) several ceramic watches and for the most part they are fine. Ceramic is brittle, if struck with a hard object, it will tend to shatter. If you were to drop a ceramic watch on a hard floor, I would imagine something would break, either a link, case side, case back etc. If you were to sit on a ceramic watch, knowingly or unknowingly it would likely break too :D

I've banged several of mine against a door but nothing happened to it. Maybe I got lucky.. To put it short, ceramic is very hard, and scratch resistant, but brittle.

Hope that helps somewhat bro :)

I feel I should add some input here. I own(ed) several ceramic watches and for the most part they are fine. Ceramic is brittle, if struck with a hard object, it will tend to shatter. If you were to drop a ceramic watch on a hard floor, I would imagine something would break, either a link, case side, case back etc. If you were to sit on a ceramic watch, knowingly or unknowingly it would likely break too :D

I've banged several of mine against a door but nothing happened to it. Maybe I got lucky.. To put it short, ceramic is very hard, and scratch resistant, but brittle.

Hope that helps somewhat bro :)

Indeed, very helpful, bro :good: I guess it would be fair to say that a ceramic watch isn't really well suited to any kind of environment or activities where it might be subjected to any unexpected knocks/drops etc...

Thanks indeed for that, it's certainly made a choice for me with regards my GMTSub V2.0 plans, and I likely won't use the ceramic insert in the bezel, as, from what you've said, I don't think it would stand up to being worn in all circumstances. Of course, it probably would be fine, but a metal insert is much easier to replace (if need be) than a ceramic one, and, while scuffs on a metal insert can add a little character, a watch being sans insert, wouldn't look so great :lol:

Thanks again :)

TJ

My GMT is fine and dandy, but I don't use it to much.

I had a Big Bang ceramic , it was polished and was awesome, it was like a black mirror that changed colour from certain angles. the thing was though that I became a bit OCD with keeping it clean , it showed every mark. thing is it was VERY sharp on the edges and I actually cut a hole in a sweater from it and even cut my thumb on it, I sold it but Kind of miss it as it was a very special watch, Ceramic is a very cool material

p5172183comprq2.jpg

ST4

Ceramic is a really cool material, but as previous posters has stated it's much more brittle. You almost always have to have the tradeoff between hard (brittle) and toughness (soft/mallable) in materials. Think knives and swords, an extremely hard edge is very sharp but very fragile... and viceversa. We have ceramic brake discs on some of the racecars and it only takes an errant stone to chip the disc and destroy it (at

Thanks for the responses, guys :) I'm really in two minds about my project plans... I love how the ceramic insert looks on the GMTIIc, so I'm really keen to use an insert in my project, but I am concerned how well it might last on a watch intended as a beater... I think that while a regular insert might not have quite the same impact, it would be more long-lasting... Of course, I don't have the cash to start this project for a while, I just want to know my options for when the time comes :)