When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rhodium in Blue

RobbieG

Rhodium is such a cool substance. As a photographer, I have always enjoyed how light interacts with this substance in the most interesting ways. Whether it be a dial or simply bridges in a movement which have been plated with it, I am always amazed at how many cool colors can be seen in different light and at different angles.

Of course at first glance the Rhodium dial on my DJ is sort of a deep silver. But in some light it looks like a deep grey. In some light it looks almost white. In some light it looks like platinum. In some light it shows a very faint yellow hue - like you see in white gold items when they just start to fade. So much to keep you interested just with these variations.

But in some light Rhodium delivers my favorite hue of all: A very faint steely grey blue. Now that is my favorite of all. Here are a couple pics I happen to have that really show the Rhodium in Blue. Enjoy...

Datejust4.jpg

Datejust3.jpg

DJmini1.jpg

Rhodium is such a cool substance. As a photographer, I have always enjoyed how light interacts with this substance in the most interesting ways. Whether it be a dial or simply bridges in a movement which have been plated with it, I am always amazed at how many cool colors can be seen in different light and at different angles.

Of course at first glance the Rhodium dial on my DJ is sort of a deep silver. But in some light it looks like a deep grey. In some light it looks almost white. In some light it looks like platinum. In some light it shows a very faint yellow hue - like you see in white gold items when they just start to fade. So much to keep you interested just with these variations.

But in some light Rhodium delivers my favorite hue of all: A very faint steely grey blue. Now that is my favorite of all. Here are a couple pics I happen to have that really show the Rhodium in Blue. Enjoy...

Datejust4.jpg

Datejust3.jpg

DJmini1.jpg

As always, fantastic shots, bro, almost makes me want to try a DJ for myself :o

Oh and a little trivia for you for those who are not totally familiar with the substance:

Rhodium is actually the most expensive of the precious metals. More than Platinum even, which is why it is seen primarily as a plating material in the jewelry industry. Here are some numbers for you: Annual production is just 25 tons world wide. As of October 2007, rhodium cost approximately eight times more than gold, 450 times more than silver, and 27,250 times more than copper by weight. Rhodium's typical historical price is about $1,000 and ounce, but in recent years it has increased to about $4500 an ounce. In 2008 the price briefly rose above $10,000 per ounce!

Rhodium is a member the Platinum group of precious metals which also includes Palladium and Iridium - and is found in Platinum ore. Solid Rhodium jewelry is very rare as its hardness makes it too tough to work. It's principle use (in the jewelry industry) is as an extremely hard and durable plating material primarily used to put a white reflective finish on White Gold and Platinum which are not so white and shiney in their natural states. It forms an extremely hard and virtually oxidation-proof finish, making its use as a plating material an excellent choice - especially in gold jewelry which is inherently soft. But when you think of typical gold plating you think of something that is fragile. With rhodium that is certainly not the case. Just the opposite actually. It is far harder and more durable in all cases of what it covers.

Most comes from mines in South Africa and more than 80% of the worlds supply is used in catalytic converters - not jewelry. This is because of its nitrogen synthesis abilities ideal for controlling emmissions. It is also widely used in as a hardening agent for Platinum in aircraft turbines and critical machined parts.

I'm still suprised at just how square the latest Datejust is, the changes from the old style case seem huge and make the piece look so different. I like the new look alot and the smooth bezel is definately the finish which most fits the new case lines (I think so anyway!) The rigged bezel has never done it for me though, I always think it looks abit 'cheapy' (sorry!)

Yeah I hear that alot although I don't get it. The fluted bezel has its place which is on the Jubilee bracelet IMO. The smooth with Oyster is a nice pairing. I often think that if I do end up "upgrading" to a PT/Glacier/Roman Day Date this year I will keep this DJ and just fit Jubilee and white gold fluted bezel on it. That way I'll have the best of both worlds and keep the Rhodium and have the Glacier too! Of course that one will have the smooth bezel and President bracelet (not available in Oyster which is fine by me as the President is the same idea, but richer looking links).

So I agree that on a DJ I think a fluted bezel is best on Jubliee or with a President bracelet on a DD - and the smooth on a DJ is best with the Oyster. BTW, here is the look of the fluted with Jubilee on a modern DJ case. Really cool (as long as it wasn't my only one and I had the smooth/Oyster or President covered with another watch)

So this would be the grail pair (not that I don't love my DJ the way it is, but the Platinum DD is too similar and variety is good!). Amazing how a simple little change transforms the watch. And pics don't do the Jubilee/Fluted combo much justice. Looks really great in person - just not something I would choose first for my only watch...

Platinum Glacier/Smooth/President DD:

glacierc.jpg

glacierb.jpg

SS Rhodium/Fluted/Jubilee DJ:

romanjubilee.jpg

rhodiumjubliee.jpg

Oh and a little trivia for you for those who are not totally familiar with the substance:

Rhodium is actually the most expensive of the precious metals. More than Platinum even, which is why it is seen primarily as a plating material in the jewelry industry. Here are some numbers for you: Annual production is just 25 tons world wide. As of October 2007, rhodium cost approximately eight times more than gold, 450 times more than silver, and 27,250 times more than copper by weight. Rhodium's typical historical price is about $1,000 and ounce, but in recent years it has increased to about $4500 an ounce. In 2008 the price briefly rose above $10,000 per ounce!

Rhodium is a member the Platinum group of precious metals which also includes Palladium and Iridium - and is found in Platinum ore. Solid Rhodium jewelry is very rare as its hardness makes it too tough to work. It's principle use (in the jewelry industry) is as an extremely hard and durable plating material primarily used to put a white reflective finish on White Gold and Platinum which are not so white and shiney in their natural states. It forms an extremely hard and virtually oxidation-proof finish, making its use as a plating material an excellent choice - especially in gold jewelry which is inherently soft. But when you think of typical gold plating you think of something that is fragile. With rhodium that is certainly not the case. Just the opposite actually. It is far harder and more durable in all cases of what it covers.

Most comes from mines in South Africa and more than 80% of the worlds supply is used in catalytic converters - not jewelry. This is because of its nitrogen synthesis abilities ideal for controlling emmissions. It is also widely used in as a hardening agent for Platinum in aircraft turbines and critical machined parts.

Interesting stuff :good:

I'll have to start ripping out exhaust pipes and get smelting ;)

Yeah, it always is amazes me how little is known about Rh, despite its widespread use. I suspect that not many know how expensive it is and how much it contributes to the hardness and look of so many watches - especially precious metal ones. Many people would simply not even recognize white gold or platinum without it. It just doesn't get enough credit for something being so valuable and useful and cool. Rhodium rocks! :1a:

I stand corrected Robbie, this has a gooood look.

romanjubilee.jpg

Although I do think it is generally that pieces look more exquisite, luxurious and generally more 'expensive' with the smoother lines, and 'polished' looks about them. Hard to explain what I mean but to use an example you can use the shape, lines and contours of old pocket watches to see exactly how sweeping lines on round faces just set the whole thing off to mean understated elegance.

So, heres an interesting experiment on human aesthetics!..

What does your eye prefer here?

steel-cube-by-gus-modern.jpgor ss_rb.jpg

How about sculptures?

403127639_9292ceb960.jpgor The bean! 2702622618_0695959178.jpg

I would have to agree with you on that and it makes an interesting point. And it even goes beyond bezels and bracelets and extends to entire watches. And I guess I am more like that in my choices and I tend to shy away from really angular watches.

Like AP ROO's for example. Or Hublot BB's. Or Grahams. All hard angles. They each do nothing for me as I don't find them beautiful or elegant which are the designs I tend to prefer. You couldn't give one of those Offshore's to me. It would be on TZ in the Showcase within an hour - all due respect to AP as a company of course. I had a Millenary and it was beautiful and world class, just not versatile enough to justify keeping. A $25K watch hanging around that I didn't wear because it didn't really go with too much I wore or my personality was not a good thing. But pics couldn't do it justice - the watch is off the charts in person!

Kind of OT, but it is interesting how one manufactory could have such opposite designs as their principle sport and dress lines. Like your post pics. True opposites. A pic of my Millenary and a ROO for illustration. Can't recall seeing such contrast with any other brand...

millenary.jpg

Audemars_Piguet_102.jpg