When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Self powered Micro gas light" watch markings?

Member X

Hello all :)

This is my first proper n00b post :p lol

I picked up an Ernest Jones catalogue today (a jeweller in the UK for non-UK readers) and on the page for Ball Watches it mentioned something about Micro Gas Tubes. I looked them up and found the details on the "Gas Light" section of the following webpage:

http://www.ballwatch.com/index.php?option=com_technology

Claiming almost 120 years of watchmaking, I haven't heard of the watchmaker before, but I was intrigued by the idea of the gas tubes providing brighter and longer-lasting luminescence than 'normal' lume.

Has anyone heard of it before? If it's as good as it's said to be, why aren't other watch manufacturers taking it forward?

I was just interested! B)

I just posted this 10 days ago (see post). I have both Superluminova and tritium tube watches. Superluminova will outshine Tritium gas tubes for about a half hour, then its tritium tubes all the way after that.

Ball Watches is a resurrected American brand with Swiss guts and one of the few mechanical watch makers using Tritium gas tubes on the dial. Most of the others using Tritium gas tubes are cheaper quartz driven ala "special opts" type watches.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Gaseous-Tritium-...st&p=610227