When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO losing time

vladswe

Hi everyone,

I bought a UPO from Eurotimez (good service, btw) around Christmas. - Specifically ordered a Swiss movement.

At first I didn't notice it much, but now it seems to lose about 5-10 seconds per day. Is this normal, and what could be causing it? I've heard of watches gaining time, but then at least I wouldn't have to worry about missing the bus :)

Any help would be appreciated!

Best Regards,

Vlad

It is normal that your watch may be gaining/losing time. The offset is dependent upon many factors. Most watches require a service coming right out of the factory because the 'quality control' is little to none in the 'factories' in this hobby. It could possibly be dirty and need oil. It will also probably need regulated. This part you CAN do your self but as a good servicing is suggested anyway you may as well just let the person servicing your watch handle checking everything (eg. BPH and regulating the time).

-Alex

Edited by spider87

Hi everyone,

I bought a UPO from Eurotimez (good service, btw) around Christmas. - Specifically ordered a Swiss movement.

At first I didn't notice it much, but now it seems to lose about 5-10 seconds per day. Is this normal, and what could be causing it? I've heard of watches gaining time, but then at least I wouldn't have to worry about missing the bus :)

Any help would be appreciated!

Best Regards,

Vlad

Since the UPO is automatic and not quartz, 5-10 seconds a day is quite respectable IMO. The watch can be regulated if you so choose (usually there is a regulating lever inside with a +/- .......) but your UPO seems to be normal, ETA or Chinese better quality movements included. Seiko autos, for instance, are considered good within 12 seconds loss/plus in 24 hours.

After messing about for over a week trying to regulate my 42mm Chinese movement PO, I've got it to -2sec per 24H.

Kept being -/+10 after first few tries, requires very small adjustment to get it just right.

Congrats on your regulating the 42mm! That is quite phenomenol!! for a regular 21j Chinese movement! Don't know exactly what movements are in my two 42s but they are accurate enough for me not to worry about them. The black bezel version seems to have a longer reserve time than the orange, though I have never tested either more 'scientificallly'.

Congrats on your regulating the 42mm! That is quite phenomenol!! for a regular 21j Chinese movement! Don't know exactly what movements are in my two 42s but they are accurate enough for me not to worry about them. The black bezel version seems to have a longer reserve time than the orange, though I have never tested either more 'scientificallly'.

I'm 4 days into attempting to regulate a Seiko automatic diver. You are correct about making very small adjustments. It started out 15 sec/day fast, then over adjusted to 20 slow, then back and forth several times. I think I've got it to -5 per day but am not stopping yet.

yeah, I've been playing around with the regulator and it's been 4 tries lately. still haven't figured out the sweet spot yet. It is so tight, one tiny movement of the regulator moves the accuracy by about 20 or 30 seconds. ughhhhh.. Also, placing my watches this way or that way overnight seems to make a difference.

I guess that's the fun of tinkering around with this hobby.