When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Moisture is getting into my Slevin by just cleaning the dial with a few drops of water

DemonSlayer

Some of you might recall I had a water disaster on the first day I received my Slevin. I wore it in the shower and quite a lot of moisture got inside. So I put the watch and movement inside a tupperware packed with silica gel, and then sent the watch off for servicing.

Today I received it, and I wanted to clean the dial of dust. I applied some drops of water using my fingertips, and I noticed a big bubble form and pop at the edge of the crystal at 6. This gave me an indication something was wrong. A few minutes later condensation appeared around the outer edge of the crystal!!

Is it likely this is due to an improperly pressed crystal, or is it missing some sort of a gasket?

Many thanks in advance.

Is it likely this is due to an improperly pressed crystal, or is it missing some sort of a gasket?

Sounds likely! Either/either or both.

Maybe it needs to go back to your service guy for a pressure test, then he can sort out what it needs.

Typically these have a nylon insert, which can also get damaged when the crystal is fitted, so it may be there, but with a split or nick.

Worth having a close inspection, and see if you can spot anything (mostly these seals are white nylon/plastic, but not always)

See if the crystal appears to be bedding on a white area, or if it is a press fit, direct onto the case.

Offshore

Well, Tag Heuer checks for leaks in two ways. A regular pressure test but also by sinking the watch into a hot bath of water and applying 1 drop of ice cold water (with Joe Blow) on the crystal aftwards. If the crystal condensates from the inside the case isn't water proof. What I'm trying to say is that it could also be caused due to the fact you worked on the movement in a area with a lot of moisture in the air. If this air is captured in the case and the crystal makes a sudden temperature shift you get the same effect.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Rolexman and Offshore. Interesting info Rolexman, I have a feeling its how the crystal is seated, or as Offshore pointed out, the factories could have used some cheap UV set glue to set the crystal in the case, which is now weakening.

In any case I really hope the issue is resolved, otherwise this will turn out to be a very expensive watch for me (it already is in the lead :p)