When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

~in progress~ 201a project

jkirke

I first have to thank EVERYONE here at RWG and fellow members at Repgeek for all of the assistance in sourcing the correct parts to put together my (and many many other paneristi's) grail watch.

It started about 8 months ago when I first saw a post by 'Rolli'. I noticed that he had a long list of Panerai watches in his signature. I scrolled through them and noticed that he had a couple of sections devoted to my all time fav.....the 201a.

I looked at his pics, read his details, and decided that his was the path I wanted to head down. I must say, even though I've not exchanged PM's with Rolli about my project, I must thank him for including all of his build details, right down to where he sourced his parts, in his thread.

First thing I did was contact Andrew about getting an SS case with genuine sapphire crystal. Sent the money, he delivered, and CHECK. Part one acquired!

Second off was BLIND LUCK!!! the day after placing my order with Andrew, there was a DSN 201a dial and hands for sale here. Contacted seller, sent the money, he delivered, and CHECK. Part two acquired!

Third was contacting Tourby, and getting my hands on a t_60 crown. This was purchased, sent and delivered before many members here noticed that 48 teeth were more appropriate than the 60. Not a problem.....

....this is where parts 4, 5 and 6 come into play.

Not only do I have 'Rolli' to thank, but I also have to throw a shout out to my bro 'bwhitesox' for an amazing deal on a SICK SICK package that included a t_48 crown, FGD 201a dial, and a beautiful BEAUTIFUL eta6497 movement!!!!(he also threw in a t_60 crown for the hell of it!)

After sourcing the original parts (case fron Andrew, t_60 crown, DSN dial and hands, incorrect solid caseback, and a spare asian 6497), I sent it off to master REX over at Repgeek for assembly.

He did such a stellar job putting it all together, and once it was delivered I thought I was set. Then the other parts started rolling in (que bwhitesox).

Now i've got an already beautiful (IMO) 201a. I love the look on the Gunny Caitlin II strap, and my pre-A CG from member 'oncyte' (thanks to oncyte for an incredible deal on this beautiful CG)........but now that i've got an immaculate movement, FGD dial, and t_48 crown, the thought of completing this project brings tears to my baby blue eyes!! I can't wait to get some actual tritum into that dial......ooooo baby!!

Again, I can't thank ALL OF YOU here and my fellow geeks over at RG enough for the help. You've truly assisted in making this 26 year old middle school art teachers dream come true!!

enough dribble, onto the pics!

~excuse the thumbprint on the crystal @12 in the first pic~

11-4.jpg

21-3.jpg

31-3.jpg

41-2.jpg

51-1.jpg

71.jpg

Last pic has the t_48 and of course the FGD dial!

81.jpg

Any comments are appreciated. And if any of you out there possibly have the final key to my project (correcet caseback) I'll pay top dollar.

Edited by jkirke

nice project!

I have seen these in the flesh and many pics.

There is something wrong with the rehaut on your dial. It is too low. Looks strange.

Sometimes it can just be the angle that the crystal is cut that makes it look that way too. Either way I might try and fool with that.

For example in your more side angled photos...the "3" and the "6" are getting cut off slightly in the image. On the gen at that oblique angle the 3 and 6 would not be getting chopped like that in the photo by the inner edges of the case. The dial is set a fair amount too deep it looks like.

In the photo your dial looks a little like it is at the bottom of a well compared to the very small distance between dial and case edge on the gen.

This project is a winner. Congrats to you.

post-626-1236034618_thumb.jpg

nice project!

I have seen these in the flesh and many pics.

There is something wrong with the rehaut on your dial. It is too low. Looks strange.

Sometimes it can just be the angle that the crystal is cut that makes it look that way too. Either way I might try and fool with that.

For example in your more side angled photos...the "3" and the "6" are getting cut off slightly in the image. On the gen at that oblique angle the 3 and 6 would not be getting chopped like that in the photo by the inner edges of the case. The dial is set a fair amount too deep it looks like.

It's the effect of the taller xtal combined with the dial indices and numerals being located closer to the rehaut edge, thats's all really... the latter is the case with all 'standard DSN' dials which are slightly oversized for cartel-style 44mm case.

Whatever effect it is...

It is does not look accurate or pleasing to the eye from a design point of view.

No offense to the maker because it is a great project but just being honest. :)

It's the effect of the taller xtal combined with the dial indices and numerals being located closer to the rehaut edge, thats's all really... the latter is the case with all 'standard DSN' dials which are slightly oversized for cartel-style 44mm case.

Whatever effect it is...

It is does not look accurate or pleasing to the eye from a design point of view.

No offense to the maker because it is a great project but just being honest. :)

If he'd gone for the completely accurate he wouldn't have used DSN dial at the first place.

The fact is the resulting piece is one of the nicest 201s put together by rep members here, yes...the FGD dial upgrade would have made it a little closer to the gen, I believe we all would agree with that ;-)

Edited by babola

--LOOK IT TO MY EYES--

You are now in my power and will ship that watch and all other parts to me immediately!!!

LOL!! Buddy there you have a great 201a, and an FGD dial to boot! i have been collecting parts to build my perfect 201a as well..

Congrats!!

Thanks again for all the comments. The watch was originally assembeled by a modder over at RG. It ticks, but the hands don't turn, and the dial does sit low. Thats why I purchased the FGD dial, and a new movement and am sending it off to master The Zigmeister for the completion.

I'm still looking for a 201a caseback if anyone has one to spare. I know I can get it from DSN, but I was hoping to get one mroe locally (CONUS) instead of waiting ages for it from China.

Thanks again!

Nice project mate.. and the extra pieces will make it complete.. Well done but for a watch like this I think it need a slightly different style strap.. Less vintage and more Pre-V something like a MP PAV style :)

Just took delivery of a very very beautiful PAV style strap with a magnificently gen-like patina.

The strap suggestions were correct. the PAV is a much more suitable fit for the style. and i've got my eye on a beautiful Kodiak with sewn in buckle for sale over at Paneristi.

Thanks again for all of the positive comments. Every little suggestion like this helps.