When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Portuguese Minute Repeater 5240

morlock

I know, I know, b16a2 already did a great job review this watch, but in this case I am showing you a total different rep of the same gen.

The idea of writing this came some weeks ago, when I posted here a thread asking your opinion regarding if I should vintalize or not my new IWC Minute Reapert due its vntage look. Short story, I did not vintalized it but I receive a lot of comment about this rep version. So here we are.

The Gen

Introduced in 1995, the IWC Portuguese Minute Repeater combines the size of the Portuguese Anniversary Series (42mm) with the minute repeating system which originated in the Grand Complication.

Gen01.jpg

Gen Specifications:

Movement: Manual wound IWC Calibre 95290 - 18K bph - 54 j

Functions: Hours, Minutes, Seconds and of course, Minute Repeater

Case: Limited edition of 100 watches in platinum, 250 in 18 ct. white gold and 250 in 18 ct. rose gold

Dial Color: White

Watch Bracelet: crocodile leather strap, logo buckle

Crystal: Sapphire

Caseback: Sapphire caseback

Case Dimensions: 43.0 mm x 12.3 mm

The Rep

The watch from this picture came from Andrew, it's a 21J entry version of this amazing watch, so I am not planning to go deep in the difference with the gen because mostly are obvious, or at least for us in RG. As I always comment, it's just not fare to look for a ultimate rep when the gen cost tens of thousands.

So why I get this wacth if it's not an accurated rep. Well, it's easy, this rep is really beatyful, has vintage spirit and to be honest how many people on your day to day life know about the existance of the gen IWC Portuguese Minute Repeater. And of course, it just cost US$ 98.

I think this rep is based on the original IWC MR of 1995, instead of the more common rep based on the current model. In this watch, the dimensions do not do justice, it measures 39 mm without crown and slide button, but it feels as a much bigger watch due this parts on each side, on the wrist it looks and feels as 41-42 mm watch.

DSC00635.jpg

One of the strongest attractive is the dial, it scream vintage, it is off white with very light yellow tint, which give the vintage tone. Numbers, marker and logo are black, in the right place and, to my eyes, with the right font. Even the 5 min marker are little bigger than the rest as in the gen. The crystal is a slightly domed glass. Small seconds subdial is located at 9 o'clock depressed and decorated with concentric circle.

DSC00633.jpg

The case is polished SS, with a light brushed finish on the side, the bezel has an inward curve design. Very well done, a really nice mix of texture and lines. It is a three-piece case sealed just below the waist. The case design and construction is very close to the gen.

DSC00631.jpgGen03.jpg

The crown is well proportioned but it has the small fish on it, which is a trademark of the IWC's dive models, or at least for those watch with a good water resistance. In the gen the crown don't even have a logo, it's totally polish on the tip. On the left side, just as the gen, it has a slide button to engaged the MR mechanism, of course in the rep is a fixed slide.

DSC00585.jpgGen04.jpg

DSC00586.jpg

The case back in other hand is a bad news or a good news, based on your point of view. Bad new first, the gen has a sapphire back to show the gorgeous movt. Then the good news, due we just receive a plain Asian 21j installed on the rep, it's a good idea to cover it with highly polish solid case back, which I prefer. On the case back is engraved the words REPETITION MINUTES, these are the same words in the gen case back. Also there is a serial number, two logos that I could not identify and the No. 187/250, meaning it's the watch number 187 out of a batch of 250 (the number of white gold gen build, nice touch from the factories).

DSC00630.jpgGen02.jpg

The strap was a nice surprize, we are use to receive a hard poor quality strap on the entry rep. Well this was not the case, the strap is top quality, soft and even smell as quality leather.

DSC00628.jpg

As I mentioned, the movt in the rep is the old and faithful Asian 21j. So there is not too much to talk about it, we all know it and we have our fare amount of experience with it. I just could mention that it was modified by the factories to move the central second hand, to a subdial at 9 o'clock, due I was not able to remove the bezel I could not commend on this mod.

DSC00639.jpg

Rep Specifications:

Movement: Automatic Asian 21j

Functions: Hours, Minutes and Small Seconds at 9 o'clock

Case: Stainless Steel

Dial Color: Off-White Dial with black Arabic Numerals

Watch Bracelet: leather strap, logo buckle

Crystal: domed glass

Caseback: Solid engraved case back

Case Dimensions: 43.0 mm with crown & slide / 39.0 mm w/o crown & slide x 10.0 mm

Conclusion

Well for the money you get a classic design very well performed, excellent fit and finish. The polished and brushed surface have gen quality (not IWC level but could match some entry and mid gen), and of course my favorite part, the dial, it's a beauty.

If you are looking for a classic dress watch with a vintage design on a budget, the IWC Minute Repeater is a strong option.

I tell you what, for the price that's one gorgeous rep. Personally I'd put a brown croc strap on with a rep deployment and off you go!

That is going to be nice, but let me tell you, the quality on the strap on this rep is awesome.

Really nice morlock.

Wouldn't you just love to have a working repeater someday...I know I would

dluddy, that is going to be a dream comes true, but I guess it will be the first US$ 10,000 rep out there. :lol: