When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to look for on a genuine Sub ...

Thor

post-9972-1204144340_thumb.jpg

post-9972-1204144444_thumb.jpg

Crown Guards

post-11617-1204145859_thumb.jpg

Laser Etched Crown... On the real thing it is barely visible and only in a special angle. Reps always have a more oe less easy visible crown. And it definitely does not look like this!!!

I've never noticed the way they flare out at the bottom

Try that on 12x loupe and you'll be amazed :wub:

On closer inspection I think what I'm seeing is the light reflecting in a strange way.. The upper guard in the top picture looks like the bottom edge is flaring.. :)

Yes, this is why I'm still holding off on a Sub rep. The Palp/Joe mods go a long way with regards to the bezel, pearl and CGs, only to have the ridiculous looking attempt at a laser etched crown stick out like a sore thumb on the crystal.... :wacko:

The attempt to immitate the laser etching is in all cases I've seen a pathetic one!! I would prefer to have nothing !

On most of the good rep subs the crown is not really noticeable. You need to look for it. Mine only shows up in pictures. Other than that you can't see it.

I got a Sub LV from Silixprime and one from Homer... The Homer version looks better overall, but once you know where the etching is, you will see it.Although not clearly from every angle.

http://www.mulberryoutlet.co.uk/

You can see it on the pics.

On the silixprime verison (the $130 one that is), I did not find a crown at all. So probably there is none.

I had a look on a real LV from a friend and took the time to compare both against it. First of all on the real one, the crown is very (!!) hard to find and only visile when you look from a very low angle with the right lighting. It is definitely not as present as the one on the Homer version.

However, the comparison showed, that the 6 and 9 markers of Homer's are close to perfect (on Silix they are a click too narrow). And the spacing of "Oyster Perpetual Date" on silix one and the font are slightly different (Font has very small serifs).

Also the overall look of the Homer version, especially of the dial, are closer to the original.

But don't get me wrong here, the siliprime is incredible value for $130!!!

:happy: I guess I got carried away and should have posted this in the review section... :wink:

Take a look at Andrews new sub crystal looks pretty good and on the GMT the etching is small enough

This is Silixprime's $130 model, the crown is very visible and on the one I got, slightly off centre

231-8227.jpg

Mine is the LV. Dunno why there is none.

As my pic of the genuine etching shows... You need a special angle and it is very small on the real one. Compare that to yours (or mine from Homer) and you will see something in every angle photographed. It is more or less recognizable as a crown (depends on the angle), but the point is, you can see there is something.

Homer's dial is probably as good as they come..... but the dang crystal etching is still too blatant.

Here are two more pics of the laser etching on a genuine sub I found over at TRC:

The one I got from jos nana looks pretty good. I have the blue sub ss. I'll post a picture of it, but I can't get them to look right. The color is off and the close ups are blurry. Over all they are very nice reps and I would rather enjoy them as not have one.