When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to put it back in place

sander

For some reason this little jewel holder (don't know what it's called) felt out during my ultrasonic cleaning. I guess I didn't close it properly.

Unfortunately there is no way I can get it back in again.

Is there a little trick I could try?

Thanks for the help guys!

post-9210-1235921344_thumb.jpg

If it vibrated out it should fit back in with out removing any thing you just have to find the right angle.

That's what I would think. Unfortunately it already took me more than 2 hours to find that angle. This is without the 30 minutes I spent on my knees to find it after it decided to take a flew :lol:

I'm a total noob on watch repair but i think you need a jewel press for it.

If i remember it well it's not a job you cando by hand and it needs quit some skills and tools.

Carpe Diem

Cats

You have a couple of issues there, neither of which is easy to address without the proper tools & skills.

1st, you need to locate the jewel bearing & 2 missing jewels (1 has a hole in the middle)

shockassembly-1.gif

With a small pair of tweezers, you need to squeeze together the ends of that tiny, gold-plated spring & then fit them into the jewel holder near your red arrow. The spring should pivot up & down on that side. Then, with the spring in the up (open) position, you slide the jewel bearing assembly (the 3 items marked with red arrows above) into the setting & lower the spring over it. Then, while holding the jewels in place with a soft toothpick (so they do not fly out, which is quite a skill in itself), you squeeze the sides of the spring together with the tweezers until you are able to slide the 2 humps (on each side of the spring) down below the lip in the setting, which locks the jewel assembly in place.

2nd, before you assemble/install the jewel assembly, you need to oil it, which requires a specific type/amount of oil be applied in the center of the end-stone (the jewel without the hole in it). Once oiled, you can place the jewel holder (with the jewel that has the hole in it) on top of the end-stone & then place the entire jewel assembly into the setting (as described above), closing the spring over it.

Well said by Freddy...

The only other helpful thing I found is to use 2 sets of tweezers... one to hold the end, the other to manipulate (squeeze) the sides together. This helps prevent the jewel holder from getting away from you if the squeezing tweezers happen to slip of the end.

good luck!

-K