When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How long does AR coating last with daily wear?

oirish

What does it look like when it starts to wear away? Does it chip, get thinner, or flake off?

The watches discussed here and those being sold by rwg's recommended dealers probably come from one or two source factories so I'm sure that the applied AR is pretty consistent.

Typical noob question I know, but a valid one. Any ideas?

The normal wear is easier to notice on heavy tinted AR like gen Breitling. It still works well after many years but if you look at some angles you can see the wear marks. I suspect that the ultra non-reflective AR CT does would be difficult to see as it wears, since you really can't see much of anything, ESPECIALLY the crystal!

AR is used to reduce glare and reflection on all types of lenses. Many, if not most gens have some type of AR coating although the type can be different. Some like Omega and Breitling have a coating that gives off a deep color at certain angles and is clear at other angles. Sapphire has reflective qualities just like other materials. Hope this helps. :D

AR is simply a coating on the crystals that causes a blueish hue at certain angles. The anti-reflective coating does just that, it decreases the glare when looking at the watch face. Some pictures on watches with the AR coating, almost make it seem as if the crystal isn't even there.

WR

Ah ha! I see... and so all my pennies drop.

There you go. Isn't knowlege sharing great.

So gen AR can chip too. I'm assuming rep AR is inferior just as its nature its supposed to be. But my BCE AR looks really good.

I'm happy with it and to me thats all thats matters.

Thanks for the heads up.

Well it depends on usage. There are very strict US Mil specs for durability that the coating I use meets. According to the specification it should show zero wear after something like 100 strokes with a pumice eraser. And since we don't rub our AR with a rubber pumice eraser, but only soft cloths, it's safe to say it won't wear. Mine never has. The only thing that happens to mine are small scratches after klutsy maneuvers like accidentally whacking my 3717 into the corner of a metal door frame! And even then the scratch is small and barely noticeable.

But rep AR is inferior usually. In fact, what factories call single AR in many cases like the PAM's for example is nothing more that blue tinted crystal. It doesn't stop reflections at all really.

Chiefs is the real deal and colorless. I recommend everyone just plan on having him do it for you and scrap the rep AR. You will be pleased. The fact is his is superior to most gen AR as well in strength and is also colorless.

It used to be more rare but now more and more manufactories are using colorless AR on watches less for looks but for the scratch phenom. Still alot to go. In theory if AR has no color you wouldn't really see a scratch, where if it its tinted it shows up real well at angles and looks terrible. Of course one solution is just to sacrifice some strenghth and coat just the underside of the crystal.

As I mentioned in Lani's recent thread, the only gen I have that has colorless AR is my Nardin MMD. I am confident that if I scratched it the coating would be pretty tough to spot...

UNwrista.jpg

UNwrist4.jpg