When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to fix the rivet that holds the clasp together

whitestripes

The rivet that holds the machined folding part of my Asian Planet Ocean bracelet clasp has broken. I replaced it with the G string of a guitar, which fits well, but obviously is not a perfect replacement.

This part:

openclasp.jpg

I hope this is fixable without buying a clasp! Do hardware stores have these?

The rivet that holds the machined folding part of my Asian Planet Ocean bracelet clasp has broken. I replaced it with the G string of a guitar, which fits well, but obviously is not a perfect replacement.

This part:

openclasp.jpg

I hope this is fixable without buying a clasp! Do hardware stores have these?

Don't know yet, but that's not the only thing you have to worry about.

The button pin that locks the clasp together can come apart fairly easily. (shown just below your circled area in the pic)Already it happened to me and one other owner. It happened the very first time I put the watch one. I crazy glued mine together. It fits extremely tight now.

The bracelet is fairly disappointing. Although the endlink/first link fit is good, the "seamaster" engraving on the clasp is a bit crooked and the quality of the clasp overall is disappointing. The parts directly surrounding the clasp do not stay tightly with the clasp. If you have used one of omega's divers clasps youll know what im talking about. The links themselves are good and the endlinks fit tightly with the case. A gen clasp would cost more thanthe watch, so that's out of the question. I have a rubber strap coming in from watcheden, so it'll probably stay on that most of the time.

Easiest fix--if you have an extra pin that's used to resize the bracelet, it's exactly the same size, clip/file it down and super glue it (make sure not to superglue the moving parts). Despite my troubles, my Narikaa PO is great and I'm enjoying it. It's a bit big on my 6.5" wrist, though.

The bracelet is fairly disappointing. Although the endlink/first link fit is good, the "seamaster" engraving on the clasp is a bit crooked and the quality of the clasp overall is disappointing. The parts directly surrounding the clasp do not stay tightly with the clasp. If you have used one of omega's divers clasps youll know what im talking about. The links themselves are good and the endlinks fit tightly with the case. A gen clasp would cost more thanthe watch, so that's out of the question. I have a rubber strap coming in from watcheden, so it'll probably stay on that most of the time.

I don't get it. How is it I can buy a generic s/s bracelet from ebay for $20 that has lasted three years without any problems, and the same on the OEM bracelets on $100 Seikos and yet I hear about all these failures on reps. If I'm paying over $100 for a watch I shouldn't have to deal with all this s**t. I'm starting to think that the rep watch market is a total scam and that people are paying very good money for inferior products. I recently purchased a used Seiko Velatura for around $120 and if there's any rep that come remotely close in quality at that price I'd me amazed.

post-20719-1236757668_thumb.jpg

I don't get it. How is it I can buy a generic s/s bracelet from ebay for $20 that has lasted three years without any problems, and the same on the OEM bracelets on $100 Seikos and yet I hear about all these failures on reps. If I'm paying over $100 for a watch I shouldn't have to deal with all this s**t. I'm starting to think that the rep watch market is a total scam and that people are paying very good money for inferior products. I recently purchased a used Seiko Velatura for around $120 and if there's any rep that come remotely close in quality at that price I'd me amazed.

You probably don't realize that there is no such definition as "replica quality". I mean, there is no any kind of common "quality standard" among them. They are not like "Rolexes" or "Omegas"... they are simply watches manufactured by numerous different factories.

Some of them are very good quality watches, some are not. Especially the cheaper ones fall into the latter category. Some reps have been generally made very well, all around. Some reps are otherwise good but have some weak parts (like the lousy bracelet on the PO 4th Gen).

Many of our veteran members own genuines that are 500 times more expensive than your Seiko Velatura. Even Breguets and Pateks. These people still enjoy reps and consider the best ones very good quality watches.

PS: I have been watching your posts since the day one. I suggest you find another hobby if all you can come up with is negativity. There are other places, like the Poor Man's Watch Forum if you want to brag about the amazing quality of your $100 Seiko. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy things that you consider "total scam". I suggest you drop the attitude.

Have a nice day Dennis.

First up, wot BT said.

Now, as mentioned above what you need is a rivit pin. It's a little two or three piece pin consisting of a hollow tube with rivit like end pieces that are taped into place after the pin is inserted in the clasp. Mesure the required length of pin (length of tube without the rivits) and go down to your local jeweler/watchmaker. One that actualy works on watches is what is needed here not just sends 'em off to be fixed. Ask for a rivit pin of the required length, hand over a cpl of bucks and your away.

When you get home get a flat surface like a vice top or the side of a pair of pliers and the smallest hammer you can find. Tap one end of the rivet in to the tube and insert in the clasp. Turn the whole thing over and place the allready inserted end down on the hard surface. Use a apir of tweezers to place the other rivit in the end of the tube and tap it home. Check every few taps to advoid geting it too tight and makeing the hinge joint too stiff. This may take more force than you expect but don't bash it any harder than necessory to advoid maring the side of the clasp. There! job done complete with a glow of satisfaction having done a watch repair yourself. EASY!

Hope that helps.

Regards, Col.

You probably don't realize that there is no such definition as "replica quality". I mean, there is no any kind of common "quality standard" among them. They are not like "Rolexes" or "Omegas"... they are simply watches manufactured by numerous different factories.

Some of them are very good quality watches, some are not. Especially the cheaper ones fall into the latter category. Some reps have been generally made very well, all around. Some reps are otherwise good but have some weak parts (like the lousy bracelet on the PO 4th Gen).

Many of our veteran members own genuines that are 500 times more expensive than your Seiko Velatura. Even Breguets and Pateks. These people still enjoy reps and consider the best ones very good quality watches.

PS: I have been watching your posts since the day one. I suggest you find another hobby if all you can come up with is negativity. There are other places, like the Poor Man's Watch Forum if you want to brag about the amazing quality of your $100 Seiko. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy things that you consider "total scam". I suggest you drop the attitude.

Have a nice day Dennis.

It appears that criticising anything to do with rep watches is having an attitude. If it wasn't for reading all the comments re faults on rep watches received, perhaps I'd be more positive. If you are spending upwards of $200 on a rep watch why shouldn't you expect the same level of quality as in any other watch in that price range? Does anyone even consider what it might actually cost to manufacture a rep watch that sells for $200 on this forum? I guess if you want a forum comprised of people who only have positive things to say, perhaps it's not for me. I'm also a member of the Seiko and Citizen Forum where constructive criticism is welcomed and the shoddy products exposed. Maybe if it was made clear to the retailers of rep watches that buyers weren't prepared to continuously accept faulty watches, that in turn would relay back to the actual manufacturers and the standard would improve. Saying and doing nothing certainly won't change anything.

Edited by dennis3506