When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the best way to ensure even fit of crystal into case?

I've been practicing installing and removing the crystal for the last hour on my SOH. I plan to send this crystal of for double AR coating through Chieftang. I've been having trouble getting an even press of the crystal into the case. I must have now pressed and removed 30 times, and all 30 times the crystal is slanted towards one end, thus not an even fit.

I have one of these crystal presses, and I am using a hollow die to press the crystal in:

DSC_0013-2.jpg

One thing I am noticing is that it is extremely difficult for this SOH crystal to lay evenly on the case before it is pressed in. This crystal sure is tricky. Do any members have any tips to ensure an even press?

Guest avitt

You already know that you should make sure that the crystal is evenly set before you apply pressure. The only other advice that I can give is to apply gradual pressure, and rotate the watch head in 90 degree increments.

The problem is really that those inexpensive nylon die presses are not the best. You will probably notice that the two dies do not meet perfectly flush when presses together. This, combined with the fact that the dies can flex under pressure, make it difficult to seat some crystals.

I was having the same problem, so I purchased a Bergeon press. It uses screw-in aluminum dies, with are perfectly parallel with each other...It make it much easier to press crystals in evenly.

Thanks for the response guys

You already know that you should make sure that the crystal is evenly set before you apply pressure. The only other advice that I can give is to apply gradual pressure, and rotate the watch head in 90 degree increments.

The problem is really that those inexpensive nylon die presses are not the best. You will probably notice that the two dies do not meet perfectly flush when presses together. This, combined with the fact that the dies can flex under pressure, make it difficult to seat some crystals.

I was having the same problem, so I purchased a Bergeon press. It uses screw-in aluminum dies, with are perfectly parallel with each other...It make it much easier to press crystals in evenly.

Yes I think part of the problem is that this crystal is so damn difficult to seat properly, its very difficult to get it to sit evenly. I will try the tip on applying gradual pressure. I understand that the nylon dies may flex during pressing, but the aluminium dies are surely more likely to marr AR coatings?

Heck, I just use two frozen hockey pucks, one with a big hole drilled through the middle, and a big C-clamp.

The results look great to me.

10010.jpg

:lol: Thanks Nanuq, I'll keep this in mind :D

BB makes a great press as well. It's not you - it's the press - let me guess from India?

JIm =@

I got it from ebay, and yes I think this tool was originally made in India, as are a lot of the inexpensive tools. BB? Can you point me to this manufacturer? Thanks.

Demon, I hate to say it, but you are likely to run into the same problem with the 2nd press. As Avitt said, the better presses (Bergeon) are machined much better, which means that when the jaws clamp together, the intersection between them is almost perfectly parallel. If you do not want to spend the money on a Bergeon (or 1 of the other quality Swiss-made presses), you can place the nylon dies in a bench vice, which, if you are careful not to crush your work, will produce quite satisfactory results. It would not hurt to get rubber covers for the vice's jaws so you do not deform the dies. 1 of my older threads contains a picture or 2 of this setup that you should be able to locate via the search (if you need to).

Yes indeed. I've been saving my pennies for the Horotec press, but am using the same lever press as Demon in the meantime. With all the but the thinnest and most fragile crystals, I always do the same thing suggested by avitt. Press and rotate, press and rotate. With the thin/fragile ones, though, I don't want to apply any uneven pressure so I try very hard to get them in evenly with a single press.

The Horotec I've had my eye on has delrin dies but has brass threaded inserts in the middle. I think this is the best of both worlds as it should prevent the lateral movement that often causes uneven insertion on the lower end presses, as well as providing the delrin/nylon edge that is easier on AR than aluminum.

@avitt, have you pressed AR crystals in using the Bergeon aluminum dies directly on the crystal surface?

Thank you Freddy and Chief. Freddy, I'll definitely will be considering the bench vise option, I'll have a look on ebay for a suitable vise.

Chief, the Horotec one is very good, its machined very well. However as you pointed out, the aluminium dies found on other presses such as Bergeon would likely marr the AR coating, but the delrin dies do sound very good. I'll also try, as both avitt and yourself suggested, rotate the case a few times and press, it might definitely help with evening out the crystal.