When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ulysse Nardin MMD is out

RobbieG

So I Google the phrase, "Nardin Replica" this morning and here is a sampling of what I found. Yuk...

Maxi Marine Chronographs (MMC's) - 41MM like these examples:

353-66-3-323_main.jpg

356-66-3-319_main.jpg

Instead, we get these...

Ulysse20Nardin20UW07996.jpg

Ulysse20Nardin20UW07999.jpg

UlysseNardin7_enl.jpg

r-ulysse-nardin-12-002.jpg

Maxi Marine Chronometers (MMCM's) - 43MM like this example:

Maximarine43.jpg

Instead we get these - with chrono pushers???...

r-ulysse-nardin-10-002.jpg

r-ulysse-nardin-3-002.jpg

r-ulysse-nardin-4-002.jpg

Ulysse20Nardin20UW07997.jpg

Marine Aqua Perpetual (MAP's) - 42.7MM MMD style case like this example:

Aquaperpetual.jpg

Instead we get this, which is my personal favorite (not)...

c50_small.jpg

But perhaps the moment we have all been waiting for which is the Maxi Marine Diver might be the most disturbing and disappointing. I say no more other that I hope this isn't the big finish. And again, can someone tell me what is with the color scheme as well as the chrono pushers on a non-chrono watch. I wonder if they open your garage door or something...

How can you turn this:

263-33-3_main.jpg

Into this...

copy-ulysse-nardin-watch-102.jpg

ulysse-nardin-watch-7542.jpg

ulysse-nardin-watch-9207.jpg

replica-ulysse-nardin-watch-8924.jpg

ulysse-nardin-watch-knockoff-2626.jpg

I really hope the industry is going to step it up and start taking the brand more seriously. These make me literally sick to my stomach...

I really hope the industry is going to step it up and start taking the brand more seriously. These make me literally sick to my stomach...

If looking at poor quality reps are having that effect...might be time to take a step back from the hobby

we have always had this type of offerings from the 'factories', these watches will sell great to people who dont care about the details, and the market there is a lot bigger than our little rep boards

but rest assured better quality UN reps are on their way to accompany the already satisfactory offerings that we see on Josh&Co's sites

If looking at poor quality reps are having that effect...might be time to take a step back from the hobby

LOL. Yeah, I stepped back from the hobby quite some time ago as evidenced by my current collection. No doubt about that. I hope you don't mind that I continue to visit though and forever be a champion of thoughtful progress?

And I'm sure we all know I am aware of the class divisions of reps and the vastness of their marketplace. Actually, the truth is although our market is small, we are the alpha dogs and the catalyst for production and test market evaluation of the highest quailty 1:1 pieces. After we see them the are sold wholesale and in the watchmarkets of course for much more money, but the factories are very tuned in with what we say and what our buying habits are to influence scope and bredth of final production planning. Further, our dealers are evaluated by the makers on the basis of their web traffic. They exist at the pleasure of the makers only in so far as they can effectively guerilla market and get the word out to the wholesalers as to what the hot new watch is they need so that after it passes through the first pipeline which is us, the makers are assured at getting top dollar for the ones that "even the watch nuts" are satisfied with.

I think it was pretty clear that what I was trying to illustrate was that the brand has been around longer than many which have had much attention from the super rep factories, and yet there is still only the MMDC so far. And let's be honest, the only reason that one is here is because it could be built with the now almost boring A7750. Of course there have been a few great 2824 reps too, but the supply will dwindlw there and it simply doesn't have enough flexibility to cross enough brands. Breitling is one of the only left that still uses it seriously.

If we don't push for the industry to push the envelope - especially with movements, UN is just one of many brands which will quickly run out of runway. The MMDC is the only watch in the 1846 line which can use that movement and as such I fear it may be one of the only ones.

I guess I need to do another movement post maybe. This time about the 2892 and why it is the best and most complete ebauche ever made from any movement manufactory. If only GZ had a reliable in house 2892 clone with solid supply and complications modules exactly like the 2891/93/94/95/96/97 we will have a lot more reps to choose from instead of waiting for another 7750 gen to come out before seeing any new reps.

That, my friends, was exactly why we got the MMDC and when we got it. UN had to make a 7753 watch, then Josh pre-ordered one of the first runs out of Basel, then it went in and a year later we got the rep. The tail is wagging the dog with regard to the 7750 around here these days...

Robbie,

These reps look horrible, don't you think?

What about sites like this that claim to have a pretty effing good rep: http://www.watcheshot.com/Ulysse-Nardin-7745.html

-Joey

Yeah, they look bad Joey. I guess I should have qualified the thread better as I didn't make it clear enough what I was saying given the responses...

I'm aware that these are not from our factories. I'm saying who knows how long the brand has been represented on the other side since it was so easy to find these via a simple search. In other words it is puzzling why our super rep side has been so slow to respond. Then I answered it my own question when I heard crickets chirping by pointing out that UN didn't have a 7750 watch until recently.

So I am making a connection between our super reps being overly dependent on 7750 and 2824 designs and watches chosen by our factories usually have to have one of those movements to be considered. So UN is most likely late due to an absence of that criteria except for one recent watch. All the other key brands we have had for years are well represented with those movements.

I see the sun coming up. Light dawns on Marble Head...

• 2 weeks later...

Week ago was bought from Narikaa UN rep.

Yes it is quartz, yes it is fantasy rep, yes case back engraving(spelling) is big joke etc.

But overall built quality is not bad altogether. Dial detail`s quality is pretty surprising. Hand set built quality is one of the best( not lume of course). What I mean is in real life these low end rep ( or some at least of them) are not very bad...

What you need to do is double AR, date magnifier installation and good lume. After that it is still not like gen but it will be a very nice fantasy UN rep. Who knows anyway how exactly gen UN looks and what model`s -sizes UN has:)

I don`t have good camera, so I will show photo what I got from Narikaa

45mm

orig_19284147_QmPj.jpg

gen:

40mm

http://www.timezone.com/library/tlines/tlines0003

MDFishA.jpg

MDFD3b.jpg

MDFWVTitle2.jpg