When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first succesful tinker with a watch!

robsa

Well, after reading up on here how to adjust the timing of an ETA movement I finally bit the bullet and had a go myself tonight. I received some jewellery screwdrivers and other bits and pieces in the mail today and felt I was ready so I had a go. I had previously synched my watch with my macbook and knew it was around 40 seconds fast per day so I took the back off, pulled the pin out to freeze the seconds and turned that little screw anticlockwise about 170 degrees.

Now all I have to do is check it tomorrow evening to see if its any better!

A big thank you to RWG though, I would never of had the balls or knowledge to do it without you guys.

regards

Robsa

Well, after reading up on here how to adjust the timing of an ETA movement I finally bit the bullet and had a go myself tonight. I received some jewellery screwdrivers and other bits and pieces in the mail today and felt I was ready so I had a go. I had previously synched my watch with my macbook and knew it was around 40 seconds fast per day so I took the back off, pulled the pin out to freeze the seconds and turned that little screw anticlockwise about 170 degrees.

Now all I have to do is check it tomorrow evening to see if its any better!

A big thank you to RWG though, I would never of had the balls or knowledge to do it without you guys.

regards

Robsa

170 degrees??!!?!?!?

That'll totally wack out your watch. At most it'll be a slight turn of the srew. So litttle that you can hardly see it move to regulate it.

170 degrees??!!?!?!?

That'll totally wack out your watch. At most it'll be a slight turn of the srew. So litttle that you can hardly see it move to regulate it.

it seems ok

the guide soid one notch is +- 5 secs so 8 notches=40 secs

I hope! it looked exactly the same as in the guide

:unsure:

okay, but it just seems alot of turning of the screw to regulate it for only 40 seconds.

Hope tomorrow works out to be more accurate

It's looking good so far! Just another 20 hours to go then....

well, 12 hours later.... its gone from being about 20 seconds fast to 2 seconds so that is much better eh?!

The tricky bit now I suppose is slowing it down by 4 seconds, if indeed that will be the case at 8pm tonight.

Robsa

well, 12 hours later.... its gone from being about 20 seconds fast to 2 seconds so that is much better eh?!

The tricky bit now I suppose is slowing it down by 4 seconds, if indeed that will be the case at 8pm tonight.

Robsa

2 Seconds fast, leave it. Keep in mind that number can vary based on if it is: on your wrist, sitting face up, sitting face down, sitting crown up, temperature, etc.

Good job!

-Ronin

Start wearing it now, as you would regularly wear it each day, and check it each 24 hr period. Then, before you do anything else, determine whether it is losing / gaining time during the wearing period or during the night. If it is accurate while you are wearing it leave it alone and try the various overnight positions to find which is most accurate. Rolex include this information and tell you which position, crown up / crown down etc will be + or - and so on.

Start wearing it now, as you would regularly wear it each day, and check it each 24 hr period. Then, before you do anything else, determine whether it is losing / gaining time during the wearing period or during the night. If it is accurate while you are wearing it leave it alone and try the various overnight positions to find which is most accurate. Rolex include this information and tell you which position, crown up / crown down etc will be + or - and so on.

Wow, interesting information there, thanks.

I will keep an eye on it over the next week and see how much it gains compared to my macbook.

Robsa