When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IT geek question

FxrAndy

I am thinking of getting a net book, the HP Mini note, it comes with linux running and if i use open office, fire fox and thunderbird what am i going to loose out compared with a net book running vista, MS office and outlook and IE??

What us this Ubunto like to use.

Advice and recomentations please, basic queston a net book with all open source software what is best???????

Thanks in advance guys

First of all, everything is better than vista. Secondly I believe you can install windows on it, but after doing that you'll lose the warranty. If you plan to use just these functions you mentioned, you are good to go with linux, but you'll need to get used to it a bit!

Hope this helps.

Greetz.

I personally run both Ubuntu and Windows7 (don't shoot) and I like them both....Ubuntu does have a bit of a learning curve but it's not too bad...it's probably one of the most "user friendly" linux distros...

As to OpenOffice- I personally live in Excel, Access, and PowerPoint for work and I do not like the OpenOffice suite as much as I like the Office suite. That being said- OpenOffice is a great open-source alternative. As to Outlook v. Thunderbird - again, I personally prefer Outlook but Thunderbird is a great client. Firefox vs IE however- there's really no contest- Firefox is the better browser hands down...even on a Windows-based netbook.

The best thing to do would be to download OpenOffice, Thunderbird, and Firefox on your computer right now...they're all open-source and free so you can get a feel for them right on your current setup before you make a decision to switch.

http://www.openoffice.org/

http://www.firefox.com

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Thanks guys i have already downloaded them all to a flash stick and i have a older lap top here that i will install them on , now then this lap top has XP installed, how do i get xp off, get ubuntu on from a flash stick, or should create a CD with ubuntu and then just boot from the CD?

Ha...and I'm no IT person...not by any stretch of the imagination! Installing / using Ubuntu however gives on a "Crash course" in linux (albeit- a very, VERY light crash course...boutique linux if you will- no command line or any of that.)

First thing to do would be to create the OS restoration backup, which should be storable onto a USB drive in most cases. The software to do this should be provided on the PC. Then after that you can install any OS you like! and if you ever need to put the PC back to factory defaults, you can with ease using the USB stick! :)

Having done that, if you ever need to send it to be repaired under warranty, you can put back the original OS software back onto the machine, just make sure you backup as you go along ;)

Personally I would buy a mini PC/Netbook with WinXP on it, nice and fast and stable, plus easier to get to grips with, in regards to driver support for printers and other peripherals. You can still install open office and firefox etc.....

Cheers! B)