When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6263 project advise

pauluk

Hi I am thinking of making a 6263 daytona and have searched through some of the posting's here and still want some questions answered, what is the best case to use? I would need one that fits the cal.72 and will take genuine the genuine crystal and crown, I can get an aftermarket case but the price is high any other suggestions?

Someone else please feel free to chime in. I have not done this only read about it

You will need to grind the inside of the case to customize it to accept the movement. This might be a little amount of work or a lot of work. If you are going to put that expensive of a movement in it you probably will want aftermarket pushers and a crown and tube. You can get these from Ofrei. The thread pitch is not the same so the case will have to be tapped. Gen pushers fit fine but they are major money. Of course the usual mods such as gen band,ends and crystal would look nice too. Freddy will tell you this is not for the faint of heart. It is a time consuming process.

Although DW case kits are made to fit Valjoux calibres, they rarely fit without some amount of grinding/polishing. Because there is little to no consistency between 1 case & the next, it is impossible to predict how much work will be required until you gather all of the pieces together & see what fits & what does not. If you prepare for the worst (everything must be modded to make things fit together), then you will not be (too) surprised when you run into problems. Of the several I have constructed, only 1 went together with a minimum of fuss. If you are good, talented, have the patience of Job & very, very lucky, you may end up with something that looks like 1 of these

hangingdaytonas005vivid21.jpg

There are a number of tutorials, reviews & journal/logs that describe the process, required tools/parts & potential problems when constructing DWs. Please use the Search to find them & then read before proceeding.