When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fixing The Recessed Center Pin

drf

Hi we spoke some time ago on the old board. I just read an old description you did there about a mod to fix the recessed center pin on the 001. looked awesome! can you "assist" with this process? (wink wink) tried to pm you but your box is disabled or full.

on an unrealted note, how difficult for a newbie tinkerer do you think it is to instal the palp crown including the filing of the lever and stem? how likely am I to f- up the stem?

Edited by drf

Hi we spoke some time ago on the old board. I just read an old description you did there about a mod to fix the recessed center pin on the 001. looked awesome! can you "assist" with this process? (wink wink) tried to pm you but your box is disabled or full.

on an unrealted note, how difficult for a newbie tinkerer do you think it is to instal the palp crown including the filing of the lever and stem? how likely am I to f- up the stem?

Are you one of the people he is talking about?

Read this

no not reallyI am not. I know The Zigmeister has done the short pin repair and I missed in his post that he would do these again in september. I did not read that he had shut his email and pmail off. He and I have corresponded in the past and I would not have put a personal request here if I saw he was overwhelmed- please don't chatise me for a polite question to him. My crown question is appropriate. I have not posted here much but was more active on the other old RWG board and have been with the community since last year. Sorry if reading this inconvenienced zz who I have supported as a resource over the past months privately and publicly- I did not know he was getting bugged by the buggers

Edited by drf

@drf

No, your not one of those "people" I was referring to...so no worries there. Your crown question is fine, and you certainly did not inconvenience me at all...

I have a bit of free time before I leave, and thought I would browse...

On the Palp crown, I have installed a few of them, and unlike the Lello crown, there were no modifications required to the case tube, and the stem had to be replaced, as the original one was too short...the only other work you would have to do, is most likely file the CG lever down a bit to get it to seat correctly...as far as installs go, this is an easy straight forward one...I just haven't had the time to do up a detailed post...

My PM is shut off, but I will be back in September, and I have my latest order of cannon and hour wheels in stock...

Cheers

RG

As in all of life finding your unique ability lies in identifying those things that are easy fot you and difficult for others! Palp sent me detailed instructions that I will share-- not yet sure if I can do this without f-ing up the stem- this is from palp.

here is the description of how to install the crown (you can however ask The Zigmeister too for help if you are in US...):

open the case with a tool or duct tape (method described on the repair forum somewhere). then you find a small release screw right next besides where the stem goe sinto the movement. loosen this screw a bit, but be careful: do not loosen the screw to release the stem more than 2 turns (1,5 turns usually is enough to pull out the stem) otherwise you have to disassemble the dial and fix the keyless works. just screw a bit and test if the stem comes out etc etc...

simply hold the stem with a plier and screw off the old crown with your fingers.

then install the new crown on the stem and put it back in the movement and test if teh crown comes close enough to the case... the crown tube should be a tiny bit visible when you look at it (i mean the crown should not be flush with the case). if the crown is too far away, take out the stem again, unsrew the crown and file down the stem a bit, install the crown again and test fit it etc etc. do that until you are satisfied with the distance to the case. better make more steps instead of filing off of the stem to much at one time.

then comes the cg: you have to file down the cg lever tip a bit so that you can close it again. simply use a file and file around the tip of the lever. testfit it, file again etc etc until the lever closes and sits tight with the crown when the cg is installed with the screws. thats it. not hard but it takes some time for

i used a standard small file for the lever.

for teh stem i used a dremel sanding disc, just make sure that you grab the stem right at the threaded area above the portion you want to sand off. use slow speed for the dremel and don´t use much force.