When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newb question on changing my PAM 111 straps

turbox7

Hi all,

So I finally sprung for a new croc leather strap for my PAM 111 to replace that horrid rep strap.

When I took out the rep strap, I found the screwbars sat in these tubes. These tubes do not fit into my new strap at all. The screwbars fit with no problem whatsoever. Am I missing something? Do I somehow need to fit those tubes into my new strap, or can I just insert the screwbars and enjoy the strap?

The new strap seemed to have something similar (tubes-yes, but more on the "plastic" side than the metal tubes of the rep strap).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi all,

So I finally sprung for a new croc leather strap for my PAM 111 to replace that horrid rep strap.

When I took out the rep strap, I found the screwbars sat in these tubes. These tubes do not fit into my new strap at all. The screwbars fit with no problem whatsoever. Am I missing something? Do I somehow need to fit those tubes into my new strap, or can I just insert the screwbars and enjoy the strap?

The new strap seemed to have something similar (tubes-yes, but more on the "plastic" side than the metal tubes of the rep strap).

Thanks in advance for any help!

I had the exact same issue with my new strap and my 111. I just use the bars without the tubes, though it would be nice if they fit. The bars work just fine without the tubes, you're not missing anything.

WR

The tube system makes sense because in comparison to springbars, which can turn freely because they are stuck in a hole on both ends, the bars of a PAM are srewed in on one end of the watchcase. The tube makes sure that any upward or downward movement of the strap does no cause the bar to unscrew. The second reason is comfort - it's much easier to change a strap that has a tube than to try and peel your bar from a tubeless strap.

To fit the tubes in an new strap might require a little bit of work. If the strap's hole is not wide enough, you can carefully widen it with a toothpick or better yet, an awl. I have half a gazillion straps for my various PAMs - and I've fitted all of them with tubes.

Some really cheap 24mm straps aren't suitable for PAMs as they're too thin to take tubes - even with work.

However, any decent strap intended for use with Panerai should indeed take tubes - and it's worth the effort to fit them. It'll stop the movement of the strap undoing the screws. As the previous poster says, just gently widen the ends with an awl or even a thin screwdriver - just be gentle and take it slow.