When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chinese watchmakers try their hand at grand complications

David74

I found that article pretty interesting, so pasting it here... it really seems soon we will see repetition chinese watches as well...

http://www.tourbillonwatches.com/tourous-t...on-watches.html

PARIS: Four years ago Simon Lu, a Chinese-American businessman from California, attended a trade fair in Taipei. A watch lover and small-time collector, Lu found there exactly what he had been looking for: a Chinese tourbillon watch.

The tourbillon, a classic watchmaker's complication developed in the 18th century by Abraham-Louis Breguet, houses the central watch mechanism in a rotating cage to offset the distorting effects of gravity. Traditionally it is a feature found only in fine luxury timepieces.

Today Lu sells as many as five of the Chinese watches a month through his company, Tourous, buying from a supplier in Hong Kong and serving a worldwide market from the company's Web site, opened in 2003.

It takes as long as four months to hand-craft each watch, Lu said, and he follows the watches from conception to creation.

The watch cases are finely finished, with stylish hand engraving and sapphire crystal faces and backs that display the complex mechanisms.

But in China, skilled labor costs as little as $1.36 an hour, compared with as much as

Seen this before mate....some of the watches are nice. However, there are others that are way too over-priced...comapred to the similar stuff that Homer sells.

Having said this....I am still lusting after a good Tourby with size of 42/43mm and above.

Seen this before mate....some of the watches are nice. However, there are others that are way too over-priced...comapred to the similar stuff that Homer sells.

Having said this....I am still lusting after a good Tourby with size of 42/43mm and above.

in fact my tourbillon will come from Homer :)

Speaking of Homer's tourby's: I have to say that those are really amazing pieces for the five hundred dollar price point they are hitting. Phoband had his at our last South Florida GTG and I will go out on a limb and say it is the finest fit and finished (not to mention the bonus of being a cool to look at tourby movement) watch for half a grand I have ever seen. He had a really nice thick spined sport/dress croc on it that just completed it perfectly. At that price, reliabilty wouldn't really concern me, plus parts supply should be plentiful or for that matter, one could just buy a spare movement - if it was important to have a touby in the collection that is. Personally, I'm not really into them myself although they are cool. I'm more into PC's, chronos, and repeaters as far as complicated watches go myself.

Speaking of Homer's tourby's: I have to say that those are really amazing pieces for the five hundred dollar price point they are hitting. Phoband had his at our last South Florida GTG and I will go out on a limb and say it is the finest fit and finished (not to mention the bonus of being a cool to look at tourby movement) watch for half a grand I have ever seen. He had a really nice thick spined sport/dress croc on it that just completed it perfectly. At that price, reliabilty wouldn't really concern me, plus parts supply should be plentiful or for that matter, one could just buy a spare movement - if it was important to have a touby in the collection that is. Personally, I'm not really into them myself although they are cool. I'm more into PC's, chronos, and repeaters as far as complicated watches go myself.

since u r into repeaters maybe u hv more info then i do

I'd been reading sea-gull presented last year a repeater mechanism in basel (so they should produce "perpetual calendar" "tourbillon" and repeater... pretty many complications...) but browsing them site i didnt found nothingh about repeater watch

I'm into repeater as well (in fact i bought a bulova millennia... I know is quartz... sorry) any rumors about chinese mechanical repeater mechanism coming out any soon?